Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

How doI get into the headlight and side light on my '86 Asp. I need to replace a side light.

Sorry for being so dim :shock:

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Pull back the rubber covers on the mirrors, remove the top screw, loosen the lower screw, rotate the mirrors down. Protect the headlamp and pry the windshield trim up with a screwdriver.
remove the lower windshield garnish. Remove the upper and lower bracket.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Peninsula Winger wrote:
How doI get into the headlight and side light on my '86 Asp. I need to replace a side light.
Peninsula Winger, just turn the mirrors up,then slide the rubber boots back on the mirrors to remove the topboltunder the windshield garnish, then slide a large flat blade screwdriver under the centre of the garnish above the headlamp (usea rag or cardboard above the headlightlight to prevent damage)then pry the moldingup and off.Then,unscrew the bottom trim under the headlamp and you will see the four bolts holding in the headlamp assembly.Remove the bolts &pull the the light assembly forward.You will now be able to get to the side light bulbs from the rear.

Added- Be careful not to pull on the light assembly too hardso as not todamage the adjuster cable hooked to the rear or the light assembly.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Thanks very much, I would never have worked that out on my own. Which is the best workshop manual to buy as a matter of interest ?

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Peninsula Winger wrote:
Thanks very much, I would never have worked that out on my own. Which is the best workshop manual to buy as a matter of interest ?
Peninsula Winger, that is hard to say. The Honda manual covers things in a little more detail but the Clymer manual has helpful hints & is written more for the do-it-yourselfer. Probably if only one manual it would be the Honda but both is best.

Twisty

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Peninsula Winger wrote:
I keep both the Clymer and the Honda shop manual. At first I had just the Clymer and found it pretty good. The Honda manual does go into more detail but it assumes you know common mechanical practices. If you are going to do serious teardown such as splitting the engine case and getting at the innardsyou ought to have the Honda manual, otherwise I'drecommend Clymer first then the Honda.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Peninsula Winger wrote:
And you may have guessed my next question, the best place to get them ??
Peninsula Winger, the manual calls for a 1034 bulb. I don't think the 1034 is available anymore as that has been replaced with the 1157. The general automotive replacement for the 1034 is the 1157 (in the United States)but that uses slightly more power. Personally I like the more modern 2057, that is about the same bulb as the 1034 but designed to use slightly less power for energy savings in the newer cars & trucks.The 2057 has a slightly brighter turn signal but slightly dimmer running light (one candle power less on the running light). The 1200 Wingsdon'thave a very high output charging system so any power usage you can save is a good thing.

To answer your question: most auto parts stores or discount auto parts stores have the 1157 & 2057 bulbs. (not sure about your country but I'm sure there is a replacment of some kind for the 1034 at your local parts store)

One thing you might consider: While you have it apart replace the H-4 headlight bulb (it's just a removable Halogen bulb). Those H-4 bulbs lose some light output as they get older so a new bulb will probably give you a little more headlight output. You could even install a Sylvania Silver Star bulb. Those are supposed produce more light for the same power but personally I can't see any difference between those bulbs & the conventional H-4 bulb. Most people that replace an older H-4 bulb with the Sylvania so do see a light improvement but that is mostly do to just installing a new bulb. At least I can't see the difference & I rideright at the edge of my light output at night.

Twisty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.