Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi fellow members

I need some help, in insuring that I purchase the correct kit, as I will have to purchase the system on line.

We have flip open helmets, the :15red:is a 1550 se, complete with 5 pin

connectors for him and her. I have been told that the system must allow the good lady pillion speak to the man at the front. the bike does not have cb yet.

We have seen lots of bits that make up various kits, but I would like to buy the right components without the problem with returns etc.

Any help would be appreciated.:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

It's really just a question of deciding on which manufacturer to go for. Then just buy open face headsets as the microphone stalk will bend under the chinpiece when it's down. This allows the mic to be used whether the flipper is in the up or down position. Full face sets are useless for flipper helmets, the mic in the chinpiece won't pick up your voice when the chin is up and also the connecting wire has a good chance of getting cut when you close the chinpiece.
As for make, JMs are the best known. Edsets are supposed to have less wind noise (especially on the gl1800) and are a bit cheaper.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Many of the UK Honda dealers (Appeyards etc) are selling Softline kits a good bit cheaper than J&Ms. They sound fine but the clamp holding them to the helmets doesn't last long and breaks, general build quality not being up to scratch IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
Many of the UK Honda dealers (Appeyards etc) are selling Softline kits a good bit cheaper than J&Ms. They sound fine but the clamp holding them to the helmets doesn't last long and breaks, general build quality not being up to scratch

Hi FitzAi

Is it the Softline helmet clamp poor quality?

When it comes to Appeyards I could not afford to open their web site, not to mention buying their products.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

The new range of Softlines have a much improved clamp design. Appletayrds sell them for £130 a set, but you can buy them direct from Softline in Germany for around €130, which is about 50% cheaper.

http://softline-online.com/english/komm/products/gold.htm

The all time favourite has to be Edsets. They are around $150, but I'm not sure if you will have to pay duty where you are.

http://bluzplayer.biz/edsets/

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Eamonn1200 wrote:
The new range of Softlines have a much improved clamp design. Appletayrds sell them for £130 a set, but you can buy them direct from Softline in Germany for around €130, which is about 50% cheaper.

http://softline-online.com/english/komm/products/gold.htm

The all time favourite has to be Edsets. They are around $150, but I'm not sure if you will have to pay duty where you are.

http://bluzplayer.biz/edsets/Hi

Hi Eamonn

Thanks for the information, I was going to close this post this morning, I have ordered a J & M set last night direct from J & M for $240 I am think this is a good deal, J & M seam to be one of the favourites used.

Better than buying on e bay.

Thanks for every ones input.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

J&M are excellent ,,There are 2 different types ,,it sounds like you bought the regular type ,but there is also the elite set ,,smaller mic and excellent sound quality but around twice the price ,,Make sure they are sending you ALL the cables including the 5 pin din cable from the bike to the headset ,,,Just check it out ,,cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

wexman wrote:
J&M are excellent ,,There are 2 different types ,,it sounds like you bought the regular type ,but there is also the elite set ,,smaller mic and excellent sound quality but around twice the price ,,Make sure they are sending you ALL the cables including the 5 pin din cable from the bike to the headset ,,,Just check it out ,,cheers Ciaran

Hi Wexman

The price is $250 not $150 my mistake. The kit is the HS-ECD 477-FL $200 + cable.

Described as the bestyet from J&M

They e mailed me to make sure that I got all the bits in one post.

I have seen the same offered for $100 more on some sites.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

That's a good set. I only got two of these after Christmas as my old J&Ms were falling apart (they've been used on several sets of helmets). Slightly slimmer design on the new ones and they sound about the same as the old ones, in spite of the claims of "best yet". There was nothing wrong with the sound quality of the old ones in th efirst place anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Why can't life be simple.

I ordered my head set and bottom leadfrom J&M, I requested the a copy of the invoice for thepostage charge. They sent the invoice informing me the order had been sent with a postage charge of $157 being charged to my acount, but no charge for handling.

After two un replied e mails I rang them. To be told that was charged the cheapest recordable way of posting to he Uk. I cancelled the order, knowing thatmy chrome bits were between$30 and$65 for recordable postage.J&M confirmed thatI was to receive a full refund to my Credit card.

I re ordered with 'Honda directline', product the same price, $55 for recorded postage.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

That is a crazy price for postage ,,I have goods coming in every week with ups express 2 day service and for something that light it is about half that price ,,,you did right to tell them to stuff it where the sun dont shine ,,,PS we are heading back to Manchester this wed to pick up the trailer tent I will post photos on thurs ,,cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

wexman wrote:
That is a crazy price for postage ,,I have goods coming in every week with ups express 2 day service and for something that light it is about half that price ,,,you did right to tell them to stuff it where the sun dont shine ,,,PS we are heading back to Manchester this wed to pick up the trailer tent I will post photos on thurs ,,cheers Ciaran

Hi Wexman

Yes and we ripe bay to pieces, for being ripped off.

I will look foreword to the pictures of the trailer, I am traveling to the UK on the 1st April and will popping in to have a look sound like your mate got the bargain, and another in Newcastle upon tyne.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

manxblackcat wrote:
Why can't life be simple.

I ordered my head set and bottom leadfrom J&M, I requested the a copy of the invoice for thepostage charge. They sent the invoice informing me the order had been sent with a postage charge of $157 being charged to my account, but no charge for handling.

After two un replied e mails I rang them. To be told that was charged the cheapest recordable way of posting to he Uk. I cancelled the order, knowing thatmy chrome bits were between$30 and$65 for recordable postage.J&M confirmed thatI was to receive a full refund to my Credit card.

I re ordered with 'Honda directline', product the same price, $55 for recorded postage.

May be life isn't all that bad after all.

I had an e mail from J&M, they have apologised for the error in the postage, and posted the head set and leadfree of all postage charges

Its good to see people apologizing.:clapper::cheeky1::jumper::weightlifter:Now everbody is happy.:clapper:

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
imported post

BenMC sez: "Full face sets are useless for flipper helmets, the mic in the chinpiece won't pick up your voice when the chin is up and also the connecting wire has a good chance of getting cut when you close the chinpiece."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not to start an argument here, but flipper helmets should NEVER be worn when moving while open. The damage they may inflict by getting the flipped front caught on something may be worse that wearing just a 3/4 helmet. Additionally., the front can become detached on ONE side and the loose side get twisted around and thrust into the riders face. OUCH!

If routed correctly and held with zip ties the wire will not get pinched. I know Edsets come with wire long enough to route correctly.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Rootman,

Kudos to your signature.

Dean

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
imported post

Those Softlines are bad build quality. They fall apart very quickly, unlike JMs that seem to last forever.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

My findings are the J&Ms exhibit poorer audio quality...Perhaps a price to pay for durability? I don't know, need to test it somehow I suppose. But audio is definitely poorer.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Yes J&Ms do sound poor but its not hard to change speakers. On the flip side, extreme audio quality is somewhat lost on the highway with all the road and helmet noise.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

True, it is not a concert hall. But even then the poor quality of the J&Ms is obvious. My little Panasonic walkman headset with the cheater cords is a lot better.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.