Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
'85 GL1200
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I’m working on my second head gasket repair in about 15,000 miles (1200A 1985). I cleaned the gasket and markered up the head with a black sharpie. I put it on a mirror with 440 grit sandpaper. This photo shows how it looks after some sanding on it. This is the side that showed antifreeze in the cylinder. (The other side came evenly.) So, does this mean my head is warped? The black hasn’t come off yet between the cylinders and water coolant area. I didn’t go wild on sanding it yet. Do I just keep going on the flat surface until it is all off? That should level it out, right? Then I’m good to go.
Bicycle part Rim Auto part Personal protective equipment Circle

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You got it that close.you don’t mush left to make it nice n flat.you can use some 180 to help

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Be really careful sanding on a head. There is not a lot of clearance (valves, and the impact to the timing belt. (valve timing gets later, can run out of tensioner)

Can you find a cutout from a stone counter top?
Spray adhesive 400 to 800 Wet/Dry to the stone.
Spray the sandpaper with WD40 to clear out the metal. (Apply frequently)
Let the weight of the head do the cutting.
Rotate the head, 1/8 to 1/4 turn every movement across the sandpaper.
Make full rotations. (this helps it even when trying to surface by hand)

I have used a 6x6x1/4 piece of cold rolled steel to clean up the deck of a cast iron block. Slow and rotate the sanding action.

Alternative, look on ebay for a yard head.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You would have to sand on that head for a week to remove enough to ruin it,the least a machine shop would take would be .010

Reactions: DaveO430
1 - 6 of 6 Posts