Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello everyone. Well it's been a long time since I was here. Now waiting for warm weather to return here in Michigan. Right now my 1982 GL1100 has the stock sealed beam headlamp holder on it. The sealed beam lamp is 55W/100W and it says H4 on it. So I assume it already is a Halogen type lamp. The low beam filament has expired. Any suggestions as to what I can replace it with for less than $50 USD? I see JC Whitney Co. has several options for a 7" lamp holder. Should I get a new Xenon kit with 55/60 Watt Hi Lo beam? I just would like to get a few inputs from you guys as to what you have done in the past. My name is Ken Pritz and my email is [email protected]. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

I bought a 81 GL1100 Interstate last year and the feflective material was peeling off giving me no light, bought a standard 7 inch sealed beam from Auto Zone for less than $20.00 30 minutes and your done.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the info. I believe the lamp I have on the bike now is a halogen. I don't really ride much at night anymore. When I do ride at night I need a very strong light output. I'm 61 now and things just look darker at night. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

The one I used is halogen direct match for a wing.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

I put in an H4 Silverstar; lots and lots brighter.

Chuck

·
Administrator
26,577 Posts
imported post

The stock headlight is not a sealed beam, it has a replaceable bulb and like mainwiz3, the reflector material will peel off and no bulb will make it bright. A sealed beam Sylvania 6024 ultra bright will do the job. Available at wally world and any parts store.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

Hey peanut

No the stock H4 bulb is a halogen bulb, just stay with the same wattage bulb and you will be OK on the charging system.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

This is information that I have copied/saved from this forum in the past:

GL1100 Headlight Bulb, Silverstar H4 ST For Motorcycle Use Only

I bought a replacement 7in headlight housingfrom autozone that had the clear diamond cut lens for about 15$ it takes all H4 bulbs and that made a very big difference with a silverstar bulb before I replaced the headlight housing the silverstar helped but jst didn’t do the trick

I replaced my sealed beam with the SylvaniaXTRAVISION H6024. I examined the reflector in the headlight and found the shiny coating was mostly gone so I replaced it with a sealed beam H6024, fits right in and provides much better light.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
imported post

I have a 7" headlamp from JCW in my 1980 and it works great. I run a silverstar bulb in it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.