Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently bought a replacement GL1800 after totaling mine out - Lived to tell (PTL).

The new bike's headlight adjustment switch doesn't seem to do anything.

Anyone know where to begin troubleshooting this? Is there a fuse somewhere that might be blown, or wire disconnected? I never had any problems with my other one in 53,000 miles. This bike only has 30,000 on it.

GL1800 2005 30th Anniversary Edition

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Can you hear the motor trying to work? Sometimes you can hear it and the headlight needs a smack to get the inner shell moving.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

No sound, so I suspect bad wire, fuse, or relay.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

There is no separate fuse for the two headlight adjustment motors. They run on the light circuit so if you have both lo and hi beams it is not a fuse.

There is however a relay for the motors, this relay is under the seat second row last relay.

You may just have a loose pin connector, up under the center inner fairing there you will see a gray pin connector to each little motor, each is a three pin connector. Unplug them and make sure they are clean and re plug them back in, I do not suspect the motors as one will work independently of the other so if it was a motor one would work and the other would not. So rule out the motors.

Next thing to look at is the back of the actual control switch, the one you turn to actuate the headlight adjustment motors. This can get dirty , it is a 14 pin connector behind the switch, check all that make sure it is clean and the pin connector is secure.

Also check the ground off the circuit, follow it (green) from the 3 pin connectors and run a check to ground through the pin connectors while you have them apart.

If this does not solve it, then it is into some quite detailed trouble shooting to find out the reason . It can get quite involved all the way to the combination meter to find a bad wire.

To go further than this you will need to obtain a manual and go through the steps one by one.

Hope this helps

Kit

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

According to the Honda service manual:
Headlight adjuster does not operate:
a. Turn the ignition switch to "on" and check that the headlight low beams go on?
Yes - go to step b.
No - Check the # 14 fuse (10 amp)
b. Ground line Open Circuit Inspection:
Turn the ignition switch "OFF".
Remove the inner fairings
Disconnect the 3P gray connector from each headlight adjuster and check for loose or corroded terminals.
c. Check for continuity between the Green wire terminal of the 3P gray connector and ground.
Yes - Go to step d
NO - Open circuit in the green wire.
d. Input Voltage Line Inspection
Start the engine and let idle
Measure the voltage between the Brown/red wire terminal (+) of the 3P gray connector and the (-) ground
Is there battery voltage?
YES - Buy a service manual, because you are going to need one.
NO - You will need to buy a service manual to proceed beyond this point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.