Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,upon starting my 1987 Aspencade the headlight and turn signals wont work usually until the bike has been running for a few minutes then they'll come on, even though the emergency flashers and running lights work all the time. - when i turn the bike off and turn the key back to run they will work for a couple of key on/off cycles and then a minute later wont work again - seems like something needs to be hot for them to work - any ideas,im baffled and electrical is not my thing what so ever - battery is charging at around 15 volts and i cleaned the terminals - Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Are the turn lights affected by the start switch like the headlights are? If so might be the start switch is sticking slightly then works it's way to normal????????

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive wiggled the start button and it seems fine and has no effect on the problem - are the turn signals and headlight connected normally?? - like i said the running light filament which is inside the turn signal bulb is fine?

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dont really know where to start - it seems to work after the bike has idled for a while,so what would that mean? (like something needs to warm up)- electrical is not my thing,especially this issue.
if i turn the ignition off and back on again it might work a couple of time and then not

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So i don't actually have to fire up the motor for this problem to occure,when I turn on the key there's no headlight or turn signals , then I noticed they came on,I turned the key off and on a number of times and everything worked as normal for a lot of on/off cycles but then won't work again a short time later

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Just wondering if the brake lights work when the HL and turn lights act up? Also do the HL and turn lights always fail simultaneously and come back simultaneously? Either both are working or both have failed. NOT the HL are OK but the turn lights are still acting up etc.
Possible theory I have seen before is a bad connection somewhere. When you turn on the poor connection gets hot and expands tightening the poor connection or "burning" the poor connection together for a while. Few ideas but lets go a few at a time so not to overwhelm you. Answer back.

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
I would take the top shelter off and look for the black 8pin C4 connector. The wiring for both the headlights and turn signals go through that connector. Could be some corrosion or over heated pins in that connector.

Attachments

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes,they fail simutaneniously and come back together.
Yesterday things were working fine for whatever reason and back to the problem today and it seems my brake lights are not working now but they were before.
All problems are with key on and also when the bike running

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bellboy40 - so this picture is on the left as you sit on the bike - i found an 8 pin connector,unplugged it and replugged - seems fine - that area on my bike looks a little different to the pic - i guess ill un-plug all i can see and clean

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Looked at my Clymers schematic trying to find a commonality. Turns out the "main relay" `powers the headlights, turn lights, brake lights, and horn. When the bike is acting up see if all of these do not work. If all are nonfunctional at the same time I would be very suspicious of the main relay. I never worked on one so I can't seem to find where it is located. If it turns out you need to find it we can seek that out at that time unless someone has experience and chimes in. Kind of bet DaveO would know where it is located??????

·
1,753 Posts
I dont know much about the 1200 and i dont have an manual , BUT i think i would clean the starter switch . There is actually two electrical switches in there , - the one turns the starter on and the other turns the ligths off . If the second one mentioned is dirty it can take a while before it gets contact after using the starter button .

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry for my slow replies - i have new born twins.

Yes,it seems horn and brakes dont work either at the same time as the other 2 problems (headlight and turn) - so maybe the MAIN RELAY as redwing52 stated - i will check my manual to see if i can locate it.
Thanks

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK - i'm thinking redwing52 is corect and the MAIN relay is just under the fake tank and right above the fuses - i tapped it repeatedly with a screwdriver handle and it would fix the problem momentarily over and over.
Does anyone know where to get these relays - auto parts stores dont have this exact one - are there some others that can be used - they had similar looking ones. 12V 20A
Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
You could probably find a main relay on eBay. If you would rather you could retrofit a conventional cube relay to work. Below is how to wire a generic relay. For some reason my diagram does not show a wire color for the wire to the fuse box. It would be the only wire remaining though. Cover to protect from the weather. Mount top up so water can not get in it. Otherwise hunt down a water/weather proof relay. Should probably be a 30 amp relay. :)

EDIT:
87 is Fused Power in.
30 is Switched Power out to device
86 is from Ignition Switch as shown
85 is ground ( this is the relay coil )

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts