Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Guys,

I have been through all the info on the site on this subject, but cannot get the bulb holder to budge. I can get at it by squeezing my hand past the forks, and I can see it clearly, but do you twist, pull or what to get it out???

Steve18:waving:

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

Hi again,

OK, OK, OK, I figured it out,....and just as you were all finished laughing....
For the uninitiated here's the story...
1.Twist forks to one side to see bulb fitting.
2.Pull off black electrical joint.
3.Pull off rubber boot.
4.Press silver clip, hinge to one side (careful it does not fall off)
5.Pull out bulb...replace.
6.Re assemble in reverse order...job done.:clapper:

Thanks anyway....

Steve

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Well done Orange18 :clapper:I think this is a first on this forum. :stumped:Wherea member asks a question and then answers it himself. :clapper:U didn't tell us where you bought the bulbs. :skipping:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Hi Steve, you figured it out. One thing to watch out for is the clip. I know a guy who lost the clip (it came off and fell down the fairing) and you can't buy them on their own. He ended up having to scrounge a similar clip from a car headlamp in the car scrappers.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Grouchomax wrote:
One thing to watch out for is the clip.
Hey Grouchomax :stumped: Thats just what Orange18 has told us. :clapper:

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

Changing bulbs on the 1800 is not easy, even with small hands. I find myself feeling my way around because with my hand in there I just can't see where everything is. Surely bulb replacement shouldn't require a course in contortionism.:?

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

yellowwing wrote:
Changing bulbs on the 1800 is not easy, Surely bulb replacement shouldn't require a course in contortionism.
Hey yellowwing :stumped: What the hell does that mean. :whip:

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

Okay what Orange 18said was good but I'm an idiot when it comes to doing this type of stuff.

Right headlight is blown so how do I do it, my hands are big I take XL gloves so any assistance would be great.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

sgrantman wrote:
Okay what Orange 18said was good but I'm an idiot when it comes to doing this type of stuff.

Right headlight is blown so how do I do it, my hands are big I take XL gloves so any assistance would be great.
I have big hands too.......I do not even try to fight it. I put a headlight modulator on mine and I tried every trick in the book to try and not take things apart...forget it.....it is just quicker all around especially for the high beam to just........take off the mirrors...then the front windshield garnish .....the windshield and under cover and there it all sits......The service manual tells you to remove the side pockets...yea right..as if I have eyes in my fingers:)

Roll the rubber away at the mirrors....take those bolts out......then the other two on each side that hold the front garnish......it is plugged in like your side covers....carefully lift it do not break the plug in pins......take the windshield off....and undercover and you can get to all that stuff.......that is how I go about it. Kit

You could even with big hands get to the low beams.....with a bright light so you can see........without taking it all apart.....lift would be nice......it is a very awkward position trying to sit on the ground and reach up overhead......then you cannot see...so you get up and peek up in there....I love it...makes me cry:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:
I thought I would come back and say : If you are going to fumble around and change the bulb or bulbs without taking things off the bike.....and it can be done.....you need to wear a pair of those throw away rubber gloves.......fingerprints on the bulbs from fumbling and dropping and pushing and pulling will cause them to burn out quickly.
and good bulbs are not cheap.....they are like 40 dollars each......Kit

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

O my here I come the local (45 minutes away) service guy, sure doesn't sound like much fun to me, maybe I'll go to the dentist instead.

Just kidding, thanks for the help, I'll have a go at it on Saturday for nowI'm riding with the high beam on and hoping that the cops don't nab me.

Nice bikes till you have to do any service on them then.......they suck!

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

The 1800 is a doddle to change the headlight bulb in ,No need to go stripping anything off the bike ,Just a little patience and keep the steering turned to one side .My hands would not be too small either and I have changed many bulbs in the 1800 without any problem ..

Just a little note here ..if you have bulbs that are blowing on a regular basis then more than likely the anti-dive valve is stuck and the forks are solid and this causes the bulbs to go and will eventually do in the fork seals ,,Have seen so many 1800s coming in here to the shop with the anti-dive not working ,

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

Thanks, I was actually going to get my wife to stick her hand in but I may get divorced by the time we're done.

In any case, what you others have told me is helping, once tomorrow is over I'll update everyone as to what actually happened.

FYI this is the first and hope the last time I have to change a bulb on a Goldwing.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

Well it's done and as it turns out my wife figured out a very easy way to reach the low beam light, actually by two ways that don't involve taking anything apart. Hum just can't help but wonder if she was a motorcycle mechanic in a previous life.

1st way was to just reach under the front end of the bike and there it sits, actually replaced the bulb in all of 20 seconds this way, the other way which seems to be even easier was to reach down in the void down past the handle bars.

Her very wise (ass) comment, don't assume that everything is hard, sometimes there is an easy way even with a Goldwing.

I hate it when she shows me up :18yellow::11yellow:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Glad you got it changed. Give her two extra hugs. My wife can hold the flashlight:) Kit

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

sgrantman wrote:
Well it's done and as it turns out my wife figured out a very easy way to reach the low beam light, actually by two ways that don't involve taking anything apart. Hum just can't help but wonder if she was a motorcycle mechanic in a previous life.

1st way was to just reach under the front end of the bike and there it sits, actually replaced the bulb in all of 20 seconds this way, the other way which seems to be even easier was to reach down in the void down past the handle bars.

Her very wise (ass) comment, don't assume that everything is hard, sometimes there is an easy way even with a Goldwing.

I hate it when she shows me up :18yellow::11yellow:
I shall be PMing you my address shortly, sgrantman, please send your wife to my house:clapper:, I have a bulb gone just yesterday and am not looking forward to struggling with changing it.:X

By the way, I am not sure where you live, or even which country, as your profile isn't filled in, so I am assuming you are in England. :baffled::):waving:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

They say practice makes perfect, I can get all of them but the left high beam now. Still to me impossible to change the left high beam.......too much stuff in the way.

So just I just plan to change all bulbs on a yearly maintenance type thing, when the shelter is off.

Kit

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

I'm not laughing. I was here searching for instructions for changing my headlight bulbs. So, I don't have to take the fairing off?:?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

You don't need to mate, the holders are accessable from behind, either from above or below, depending on which you find easier to get your hands to.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

WEXY...or anyone who has the time...
on 6/6/08 Wexy wrote, "Just a little note here ..if you have bulbs that are blowing on a regular basis then more than likely the anti-dive valve is stuck and the forks are solid and this causes the bulbs to go and will eventually do in the fork seals ,,Have seen so many 1800s coming in here to the shop with the anti-dive not working"

Can anyone help me know what this "ANTI-DIVE VALVE" is and where I can find it on our 1800 (year: 2003)...please.

We've replaced the bulbs three times in the last 18 or so months and it's getting old (and yep, good bulbs, fuses are okay).
THANKS from SoDak.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.