Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an 89 GL1500 with a later model headlight. I want to install silverstar bulbs in it, so I need the adapter rings. I called my local honda dealer and parts person said it would not be a good idea to install them. He said that the higher wattage bulbs will melt the chrome plastic inside the assembly. Is this true? I am also looking for a whiter bulb for the cornering lights. I have them set to stay on all the time when the bike is running. Any suggestions?

·
Trike Master
1,248 Posts
imported post

That is possible. The 1st thing you may notice is a discoloring(haze like fogging and/or darkening) of the housing reflector surface just above the bulb.
I did not notice a significant enough improvement to warrant the higher cost, nor the short bulb life to keep these bulbs in my 1800.
Other opinions may differ!

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

While the dealer has expressed a sensible concern, I installed PIAA's in my '98 headlight assembly (which is also the newer headlight) some years ago without any ill effects - and here in Canada, the headlight is on whenever the bike is running. I assume this is the same with the American model.

PIAA does make a headlight bulb which is billed as a vibration resistant model - you can check the PIAA web site.

They also make a bulb which fits your driving lights which I have installed and am very happy with. Are just a little expensive, though. Check the PIAA powersports section of their web site.

All these bulbs should be available at a local car parts supplier, but I hear nothing but good things about the Silverstars, as well.

The shims or adapters you are talking about should be available at any Goldwing aftermarket supplier. I use Cyclemax, but I have found them on other sites.

Now, go forth and illuminate without apprehension!;)

T.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

Have reread your post and note that you have an '89.

Not sure if the driving light bulb from PIAA that I use in my '98 fits your year. I know the standard bulbs are different, but not sure if they are interchangeable.

In any case the PIAA driving light I used is the H6N and I really like the whiter light.

Good luck!

T.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

The Silverstar bulbs are the same wattage as normal bulbs. Well, very close anyway- stockers are what, 45 watt, and the Silverstar are 55. I run mine without the adapter rings with no ill effect, though I have been told light pattern is better with them. However, I have awesome light coverage at night so no complaints.
They have a shorter life rating, though mine have been in over two years and I ride quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

tnoort wrote:
Have reread your post and note that you have an '89.

Not sure if the driving light bulb from PIAA that I use in my '98 fits your year. I know the standard bulbs are different, but not sure if they are interchangeable.

In any case the PIAA driving light I used is the H6N and I really like the whiter light.

Good luck!

T.
Thanks for the info, My bike is a 89 with a 98-2000 headlight assembly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.