Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm about to buy replacement headlight bulbs and a thought just struck me so I'm looking for someone to clarify this before I proceed:

Living in Australia, we drive on the Left Hand Side (LHS) of the road and therefore the DIMMED headlight is directed low and to the LEFT.

In America, you drive on the Right Hand Side (RHS) and the DIMMED light is directed low and to the RIGHT.

So, if I purchase headlight bulbs from an american webside am I going to have a problem with my DIMMED headlight blinding on-coming traffic ?

Is there some adjustment that can be done to rectify this.

Ibelieve someoneelse the Australia, the UK or Ireland would have come across this before.

Looking forward to hearing the answer !

Adrian

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

I could see this being a problem with a sealed beam, but the fluting and therefore "aiming" part of the lens now is the outer refraction. The bulb should be the same.
Or are you needing to replace the entire assembly?

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

You adjust the lens up and down or right to left, not the bulb!

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks guys. I believe the bulb replacement is OK, the dimmed light beam is handled by the lens and my lens is fine.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks guys. I believe the bulb replacement is OK, the dimmed light beam is handled by the lens and my lens is fine.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

You got it right Adrian. Any adjustment is done at the headlight.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Cowz wrote:
...Is there some adjustment that can be done to rectify this...
> Yes, it has to do adjustment of the Nut, located between the handle bars and the passenger seat.

Some prefer replacement of the nut, where-as other's would simply smack it with a large hammer until normal operation resumed.

Either way, the Nut is over-compensating and must be destroyed.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
imported post

Cowz wrote:
Cheers
Only partly correct. The lens determines the cutoff ie. the flat portion of the beam, cut off so that you don't dazzle the oncoming traffic. The bulbs are all the same, but the reflectors are not. If you look at the reflector from the rear, you will notice that the gaps for the bulb tangs to fit in may be, in your case, rotated anti-clockwise so that the tiny reflector on the dip/low beam in the bulb sends the beam to the side. Opposite for R/H drive. The lens patterns are reversed for the different driving sides.
Some bike headlights have them so the beam dips vertically, in which case the lens does all the work. The one on mine is modified to be like that.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

One thing I know for sure......... there isn't a different bulb number you can buy for the left or the right side. There for it just don't matter!

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Bulbs ordered from Wingstuff.com.

Will let you know how it goes.

Adrian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.