Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a headlight modulator on my 1500 that was installed when I bought the bike. The sensor is mounted out the front grill of the bike. The modulator works some times and sometimes it doesn't. I have noticed that after I wash the bike, it seems to work for awhile, which to me means that the water is finishing making a connection. Also, sometimes when I honk the horn the headlights will modulate for a few seconds. I am thinking that I have a loose connection or a bad ground, but thought that I would see if anyone else had a idea. Going to replace the windshield this weekend and thought that I would look for the modulator problem then.

Cobra

:15grey:

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Some modulators have a feature that causes the headlight to modulate temporarily when the horn is blown, but I think that that is only when the modulator is deactivated by the light sensor. Is the sensor out where it can detect daylight or is it perhaps slipping into some dark recess and deactivating the modulator?

What brand and model is the modulator??

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It sounds like the connection to the sensor might have exposed wires that cause the resistance across it to change triggering the modulator. The horn's affecting it could be due to voltage changing at the headlight due to poor connections when the horn's heavy current demand occurs.

Ideally the sensor is should be mounted so that it faces up toward the sky in an area where it won't be hit by headlights at night. On my bike I mounted the sensor on the bridge just to the right of the ignition switch. In that location it faces upward and is sheltered from oncoming headlights at night.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I believe it is out in the open enough that it ought to work. It comes out the front of the grill and connected to the left side fairing about even with the top of the front fender. I don't know what brand it is as I haven't been into it far enough to find out yet. As to the horn activating it, it only does it when it is light outside. Hope to find out more this weekend when I change the windshield as I am going to have the front end off anyway.

Cobra

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

It sounds like you have a signal dynamics modulator. The lights are supposed to flash when you activate the horn. When you install it you have the choice to activate the horn function or not, your was installed to flash the lights.

A modulator will not work even in a garage. It does take direct sunlight to activate the sensor. So you have to make sure you are in direct sunlight.

It does sound like you may have some type of short at the little bulb end of the sensor, or a bad sensor, they are kinda fragile does not take much to damage one. It does also need to be moved away from the front of the bike and put back someplace sheltered out of the beam of oncoming headlights. A properly working modulator will come on at night under the direct beam of a headlight, this is not good.

Kit

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks to everyone that responded. I am going to take the front end apart this weekend to change the windshield anyway so am going to do some more investigating then. If it is the modulator, can they be bought alone or do you have to replace everything? Thanks again.

Cobra

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

That is a very good question. All the modulators that I have seen have all the electronics molded inside the main plastic brain box. The control wires and the sensor wire is also molded into the assembly. So there is no taking it apart.

I am sure if one had a modulator of the same make, you could cut and splice the sensor wire. It is just a small photo-electric cell.......could maybe buy one off E-bay.

Also some modulators have a program wire. Sometimes when a modulator will not modulate like it should, it was shorted during installation, this does not mean it is bad, just confused. You have to hook the red program wire up to the battery with a jumper wire and program it.

If it is a Kisan, these instructions are on their web site, if another brand you have to contact the company for the instructions.

Kit

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks again Kit. I am hoping that it is no more than a bad connection, but won't know until I get in there and find it.

Cobra

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
imported post

The daylight sensor could get filthy where it is. Use a plastic tie onto the bottom of the handlebar. Also clean the glass on the sensor.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Where does everyone else that have headlight modulators on their bikes have the sensors mounted? This was already on the bike when I bought it and I have never had any experience with one before.

Cobra

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I have mine on the right side part of the fairing, In an area right above my knee, it looks straight up, is out of direct headlight beam and protected from dirt and road spray in the wet.

Kit

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Ok guys, this is what I found. I have a Kriss Starburst headlight modulator. The modulator still works when I honk the horn with the lights on high beam, but they don't seem to work with just the headlight. Does anyone have any info on these. They have been discontinued by Kriss and I can't find out anything about them at all. I checked the wiring under the left-side storage pocket in the fairing and everything seems to be connected, but of course I don't have the wiring diagram to verify this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Cobra

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,735 Posts
imported post

http://www.kriss.com/#

Kriss certainly have a lot of options to choose from.

Surely they would have information on the old one? But I guess you already have contacted them?

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Cobra--if you go to the Kriss site, given by azgl1500, and then go to CLEARANCE items, you will see that they still have some Starbursts. I have one like that, and I am looking for the info on it. I will post when I find it.

Edited to add a link

Go HERE for the only tech help I could find. Still looking for my papers.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Thanks AZgl1500 and Hawker22. I have sent a e-mail to Kriss to see if they still have the installation instructions for this modulator and if they can send a copy to me. I'm still not too sure that that the modulator module itself may be bad, or at least some of it's functions may not work. Don't know how long it has been installed on the bike so don't know how old it is. Hope to find out more when I get some more info. Did get the new Slipstreamer windshield installed today. Had to put small washers under the slides so that the windshield would adjust. It is a little bit thicker than the stock one that came off and if I tightened them all the way up, the windshield would not move. Sure is nice to be able to see again!

Cobra

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
imported post

Mine stopped working..flick the headlight on and off (ignition on) 4 times...resets the thingy.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Thanks for the info Daveinoz. I will try that and see if it works.

Cobra

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Cobra57

I finally found and scanned my Kriss Starburst installation instructions. If you PM me with your e-mail address, I will attach the pages to an e-mail back to you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.