Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I installed a headlight modulator this year. Yesteday I was out riding, pulled to a stop at a traffic light, a cager ahead of me in the next lane leaned out of his window an shouted "your headlights flashing"
Well at least I know it can be seen :)

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I also use a mod. and am convinced that it does indeed get peoples attention. One word on modulator etiquette: Please shut it off when you are riding in a group of bikes except if you're the lead bike. I understand it can be annoying to the people in front of you. I don't know by personal experience but have talked to others about it and can understand their sentiment.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

I had a headlight and a brake modulator once. Got rid of them as they caused what I can only call severe annoyance to cagers. Almost got me into fights. :?

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I haven't had any problems like that. But it might be that my mod.operates a little different than yours.

Besides, the cagers at least noticed you.:D

Hobie

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

tricky wrote:
I installed a headlight modulator this year. Yesteday I was out riding, pulled to a stop at a traffic light, a cager ahead of me in the next lane leaned out of his window an shouted "your headlights flashing"
Well at least I know it can be seen :)
tricky, those H/L modulators do get peoples attention but depending on the flash rate can cause more problems than they are worth.

If there is any impression to the on-coming left turners that your light is flashing they can perceive that as a nod from you to turn in front of you. People can also think you flashed them the ok to pull out. Cagers can also do strange things like suddenly stop or pull over as they think you are an emergency vehicle. Just pulling over is ok but forcing a massive traffic movement around you is not the safest of intentions.

The best modulators (& to be legal) only slightly dim the headlight but don't actually flash it on & off..

I used to use one right after they were deemed legal but found the side effects were not worth the bother.

Now I just ride with my high beam on during the day as that keeps the light up at eye level & can be seen from a long ways off.

Let us know how it works out for you after using it for some length of time.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Hi Twisty,

I use a Signal Dynamics mod, and one of the things I like about it is that it "winks" the light a pretty good pace. I've never had anyone pull over but I did have one guy start to pull out in front of me and when he noticed me he stopped. I also like the feature where whether it's day or night, I can honk my horns and the light will modulate deeply for a couple of seconds. That has stopped a couple of morons. This all added up with my new airhorns, get's me the attention that I so crave.

I guess the modulator issue in general is like a lot of subjects discussed; Some love 'em, some can't stand them. To each their own. At least we can discuss this without some bum just flatly stating that they're junk. I had one dude over at the other board actually state that he would bust out the headlight of someone using one. I politely reminded him that if he were to do this to my bike, things would not be happy for him. I said "Wouldn't just asking that person to shut off the mod. while riding with him be a more appropriate response?" He didn't respond. Go figure.

Anyway, regards.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
Hi Twisty,

I use a Signal Dynamics mod, and one of the things I like about it is that it "winks" the light a pretty good pace. I've never had anyone pull over but I did have one guy start to pull out in front of me and when he noticed me he stopped. I also like the feature where whether it's day or night, I can honk my horns and the light will modulate deeply for a couple of seconds. That has stopped a couple of morons. This all added up with my new airhorns, get's me the attention that I so crave.

I guess the modulator issue in general is like a lot of subjects discussed; Some love 'em, some can't stand them. To each their own. At least we can discuss this without some bum just flatly stating that they're junk. I had one dude over at the other board actually state that he would bust out the headlight of someone using one. I politely reminded him that if he were to do this to my bike, things would not be happy for him. I said "Wouldn't just asking that person to shut off the mod. while riding with him be a more appropriate response?" He didn't respond. Go figure.
Hobie, I'm not against them I had used one for a while & just found the related issues weren't worth the gains involved (at least in my area). I used mine quite a while ago & as far as I know I was the only one in my area using a modulator. I don't think the cagers understood the winking headlight. There are a lot more modulators in use now so maybe the cagers aren't so confused by them now. Ifelt a lot saferbefore the cager day-light-running-light laws as a motorcycle headlight stood out back then, now a motorcycle headlight just looks like a cager from a distance. I still use a brake light modulator on a couple of my touring bikes.

Twisty

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
I also use a mod. and am convinced that it does indeed get peoples attention. One word on modulator etiquette: Please shut it off when you are riding in a group of bikes except if you're the lead bike. I understand it can be annoying to the people in front of you. I don't know by personal experience but have talked to others about it and can understand their sentiment.

Hobie
If it's annoying to the riders ahead of you, wouldn't it be annoying to any vehicle ahead of you? I have the brake light modulator but don't know about the headlight unit. I think it would undoubtedly get more attention than the steady headlight, but it might be a pain for others on the road. Twisty is right on about automotive running lights, it did take away a lot of conspicuity of motorcycle headlamps.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

The modulator uses highbeam, so if you were riding in a group you wouldnt have your highbeam on. At least not if your riding behind me. :)

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

My Signal Dynamics also modulates in low beam, which is still noticeable but not annoyingly so(I believe) It has more of the apperance of the headlight being loose and bouncing a bit.I just use high beam on open stretchs of road. Also in town, I shut it off. Now I know that seems counter-productive but with this brand of mod. when you honk your horns, the headlight modulates deeply for about 3 seconds, day or night. So, if I see a cager rolling up faston a stop sign/light I give alittle "toot" of the horn and it seems to get their attention pretty quick:shock:. I have seen them react quickly since they don't know where the heck the big truck is at.:action:

Oh also, I never use my mod in a group unless I'm the lead bike. I can imagine just how irritating the mod could be, winking in my mirror all afternoon.:X

BTW, love those airhorns!!

To each their own.:D

Hobie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.