Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've recently installed a new halogen headlight bulb on my 1200, and I'm slowly venturing out into the "night riding" domain.. Last night I took her for a spin, and the new bulb was a definite improvement, but I don't think that I'm getting the most out of it that I can. The low beam provides much greater visibility, but the high beam seems to be somewhat scattered?? It seemed like it was lighting up the tree tops better than the road surface. I fiddled with the adjustments quite a bit, but could never seem to get it right.I know this is probably an area that is subject to personal preference, but any suggestions on how to get the optimum performance from my headlight with regard to adjustments would be greatly appreciated..

Best regards,

Chester Gunn/Chula, GA

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

There are various opinions about the distance to use to set the headlights. From 17 feet on a BMW to about 25 feet on a wing.

On a level surface sitting on the bike measure from the center of the headlight to the floor(ground) and on a vertical surface such as the garage wall transfer that distance to the wall.

The government would like you to set the center of the beam two inches low at this point, I find that to just set them level works the best , lets you see well and is not high enough to cause oncoming vehicles to be flashing all the time and allows you to use the low beams to the best advantage as those are the ones you have to use the most, and will put the high beams to best use to without hunting for squirrels.

Kit

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Start high and gradually lower them until the flashing and honking stops.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

The Headlamp on the 1200 sux.. the pattern of light is very small. the low beam looks like a square on the road. and the high beam a vertical line. even with my xenon installed i dont really feel comfortable with the pattern. to me it looks something like this.
low beam:

high beam:.

while other bikes have a different pattern and a bigger field of view. like this:

before crashing i was going to buy a couple of round bigass lamps to install as an auxiliary lighs, would turn main lamp off to turn those on to keep the power drain low.

if you are still not comfortable with halogen, try hid xenon, the field of view will be pretty much the same, but will be brighter

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

When I set mine I go out at night on a vacant dark two lane road and play with it till I get what I like. It is best to try to get someone about your weight to go with you so they can sit on the bike and hold it level while you make the adjustments for up and down and side to side. If you have mutiple sets oflights (I also have two sets of driving lights), set your headlight first. The take a towel or something to cover the headlight and set each driving light individually either by unplugging or cover so you have one light shining at a time to get optimal setting. It takes some time but well worth it when it is right. For normal night driving on the superslab or where there is a lot of oncoming traffic (city riding)I only use my headlight. When I get out in the country I will use either set of driving lights. If there is oncoming traffic I have a set mounted low on my crash bars to be able to shine down the roadapproximately100 feeet and look for critters or debris and not affect oncoming traffic. If there is no oncoming traffic I have a set mounted high right below my fairing the will light up half of Texas. Those are also good for those dumb arsee cagers that do something stupid at night.:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

I pretty much follow what Kit out-lined. With a new lamp, I try to get centered 3' from the ground at 20/25'. This gets me in the ball-park, then I'll fine-tune it on the road at night. But I do like Rudy's way of thinking...:cheeky1: :gunhead:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.