Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well I thought it might be as easy as replacing bulbs but why would it be. My headlight stopped working and I replaced both bulbs, still doesn't work. The indicator light doesn't come on when I switch to high beam either. All other signal and dash lights are working. I saw in a search it might be the starter/ reverse relay on the throttle side, or could it be the high beam switch?? Any suggestions???

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
imported post

The starter switch or the contacts in that area that are supposed to kick the lights on after you let go of the starter switch was the problem with mine when both headlights didn't come on. My High beam indicator came on with it set on Low beams and no headlights working. I used wd40. i have contact cleaner now , but haven't used it yet.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

also move the reverse handle up and down with the ignation on and if you take the handle off spray a little contact cleaner in there also and last the ground for the headlight is attached to the bolt that holds in the left rad you may need to clean this also

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks I will try to clean the switch. Here goes my stupid question though, what is the left rad....radiator?????

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Yes

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

Sauceman wrote:
Thanks I will try to clean the switch. Here goes my stupid question though, what is the left rad....radiator?????
Yes, that is what he meant. My suggestion would be to try cleaning the Hi/Low beam switch, starter button switch and check the fuses for the headlights (fuses #5 & 12). The ground for the lights is another good suggestion. Here is a pdf file of the headlight circuit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Ok going to try cleaning the starter switch first. Do I have to remove the saddle bag to open the other fuse box with #12 in it? I am not seeing a way to remove it, but haven't jumped in too far so thought I would ask.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

What is the trick for removing the throttle cable ends from the housing, I don't want to stretch it and snap the cable.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for all the help. I am such a non mechanic and honestly figured I would just disable my bikes ability to start at all when I started messing around with the switch, but with the guidance from you guys I was able to do the job. I will say that I was really concerned when I saw the "actual size" of those contacts and springs..:praying:

Cleaned the contacts, springs and stretched them ever so slightly, and that solved the problem. The lights are working and the good news is I have brand new bulbs so shouldn't have to worry about that for a while.......and yes I cleaned the bulbs real good with rubbing alcohol since my meat hooks couldn't help but touch them I am sure.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I appreciate all the help, the members of this forum are fantastic.
I used this same guide to do mine. A couple of observations from a non mechanic. The guide is excellent but doesn't address how to remove the throttle cables, and I will say that was the hardest part. I loosened the cable adjuster as suggested by Ken and that gave me enough slack to barely pry the wire up and pull out the end but it seemed to be the very max stress the cable and housing wanted to handle. I was very concerned about breaking either the cable or the plastic slot it goes into. I am glad to say that neither happened and it was exactly what was causing the problem. If anyone would like to throw in their tricks on the removal of the throttle cable I thought this might be a good place to add it.

Another note: the contact parts were REALLY small, not sure what I was expecting considering the small space they reside in, but thought it would give you mechanic types a bit of a chuckle that it surprised me.
Thanks again, with all you on my side I am not too afraid of what may be next.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.