Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new to me 03 1800; right side light dims while all others stay bright, brought back to shop and they said it is a sticky starter switch. Cleaned starter button and switch and replaced bulbs, 10 miles later started dimming again! :mad::mad: Any suggestions?

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
If the cleaning cured the problem for a while, then I think either the switch needs a proper cleaning or is too far gone for cleaning.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I have a new to me 03 1800; right side light dims while all others stay bright, brought back to shop and they said it is a sticky starter switch. Cleaned starter button and switch and replaced bulbs, 10 miles later started dimming again! :mad::mad: Any suggestions?
Stucky starter switch is an old issue.... Flip it all way out with your thumb, and your lights will be all right.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I think you are saying the right side low beam dims but does not go out and the left side low beam remains on full. With that I would be looking for a loose or burned plug/connector in the right side low beam circuit. If the starter switch were bad, both lights should do the same thing.

·
Administrator
27,929 Posts
Are you referring to the headlights or something else, not clear on that.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Correct, the one low beam dims.

·
Administrator
27,929 Posts
It almost has to be a connection at the bulb or the bulb holder, there are no other separate connections to the low beams. If any 1 of them works it is not the start switch.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
As I remember it, contrary to popular belief, the right head light does in fact go through the starter switch and the other lights work off a relay. I know this sounds crazy but I'm not an engineer and certainly have no clue what went through the design engineer's mind in wiring it like this.

Price a new starter switch and consider replacing yours.

Now I have to ask. Is the right low beam actually dimmer than the left? I ask because when I got my 01 my buddies, riding in front of me, said it looked like my right headlight was dimmer than the other. I was just not aligned or aimed as high as the left. They are adjustable individually so that may be your only problem. I had to raise my right beam up quite a bit to get them even. Shining them on a wall while on the center stand formed a targe so I could easily see the right was aimed lower than the left.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
JD is partially right. The left side high beam runs directly off the dimmer switch. The right side goes through the high beam relay. However, both low beams run through the low beam relay. BTW the 01 is the exception...all headlights run through the relays.

Try reaching behind the fairing and wiggle around the low beam wires and connectors. Point your bike against the wall in a dim room and see if it effects the dim bulb.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.