Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Something strange happened today. I noticed my headlight was out when the bike was running. I checked the fuse then turned the ignition switch to the on position and the headlight came on. When I started the bike the light went off. The other lights on the faring were fine. After a couple more attempts the headlight remained on. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Just had the same problem on my 1800 ..it was the start switch ,,when I pressed it in to start the bike it was not returning all the way and by doing so it was not releasing the relay for the headlight ....you can take the switch apart and put some wd 40 in on the spring (so I have been told) next time it happens ,,,manually pull the starter switch back and see does the headlight come on then...cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

It's become my practice to regularly use both contact cleaner and WD-40 in all handlebar mounted switches, part of "Normal" maintenance.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Wow - what a great forum - thanks to all for the quick and helpful responses!

:clapper:

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
imported post

Just another thing to check, I had a headlight that was intermittent and it wound up being the solder joint inside the headlight. You didn't mention what model you were working on but my '83 has a sealed beam headlight and I just replaced it. If the problem seems to come and go with your starter switch thenthe switcht is most likely the culprit. Another note, if you are running auxillary lighting (fog lights, driving lights, etc.) make sure they are wired through a relay so they do not draw current through your starter switch, they are not made for that kind of current. Blessings!

-Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.