Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have recently encountered an unusual problem on my 1998 1500 SE.

Occasionally when I start the engine the headlight goes off. It does not occur all the time, about once every 3 or 4 times I start it. It always comes back on when I turn the key off and back on again.

It has always dimmed when I start it, but never stayed off like it is doing now. I checked the relay and it is ok.

When the problem is occurring, the relay terminals show only one with power. I beleive that means the terminal that is responsible for energizing the relay is dead? Which would explain why there is no power to the headlight.

However, I am trying to figure out why the circuit is not energizing the relay??

Is there a breaker or something in the circuit before the relay? I have pretty much ruled out a short circuit because the light always comes back on every time I turn the key off and on again.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

the starter switch also cuts the headlamp. it may be dirty. you have service it. check for continuity when you push it with the key off. on all the terminals. one is for the starter/reverse and the other for the main lamp. also check the headlamp relay it may be sticking.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
imported post

the starter switch is where i would start had the same problem a while back. start switch was dirty just took it off and cleaned works great now. good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.