Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have a 1996 GL1500A2 I have noticed a couple of times when I switch from high to low beam my light would go out and then come back on after a couple of seconds. Today while backing out of the shed, the light went out when I switched from reverse, I put it back into reverse and the light came back on, took it out of reverse it went off again. I was able to get it to stay on after doing that a couple of times, but when I shut it off to get gas it did not come on when I restarted the bike. After messing with the reverse again I got it to stay on.

Any ideas what causes this?

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

if and when you find your problem---PLEASE post it. i am about to tackle the same problem. head lite goes off an on. same year too.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

I have a '95 that does the same thing switching from high beam to low. Will be watching this thread for answers.

·
Administrator
27,951 Posts
imported post

Either the starter/reverse switch contacts are dirty or the low beam relay is faulty.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

when i wiggle the close cable or loosen the lock nut an wiggle the cable i can casuse it to go off an on , on both high and low beams . so the relays are ok. i think there is a loose connection or a a bare wire some where . that makes and breaks some where. i`ll know more later. i hope.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

couple of big connectors under the rt glove box...check those for bugs and goo etc

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

Hi. I have a 95 se that had the same problem for a while . The head light is always on, except when i hit the starter button, when it goes off, to send more power to the starter. If you jiggle the starter button slightly, it might correct the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Start with DaveO430's advise. That was the problem with my '96. I also had trouble with the cruse buttons due to dirty contacts.

John

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

:)after much pokeing and prouding,checking and so forth . i think i`ve got it. at least i am willing to take it on a test run (not my bike) . i found a very dirty stater switch .that i could cause the headlite to stay off when it was released .took the right handle bar switch apart and dug down to the switch. bottom of the switch case was very gritty with fine sand and road dust . must have used 3/4 can of contack cleaner working the switch. got it cleaned out (hopefulley) let it dry out and applied some dielectric grease to the moving parts , wiped off excissive grease , still working the switch . after above cleaning of the switch and case bottom. i could not get the headlite to stay off when it should be on by playing with the switch . so--- i think i`ve got it cured. hope this helpes some others . sorry--no pics.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

I waited for it to do it again and then wiggled the starter button and the light came back on. Thanks for the info. I just replaced the whole starter/cruise assy last year, when I get some time I will take it apart and see if I can make a permanent fix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.