Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This forum has been so helpful. I just joined. My 82 wing headlight doesn't come on. No power at the bulb and no high indicater on panel. That's as far as I'v got. Read about the starter switch and high/low switch. Someone mentioned the starter relay and I saw on schematic a clutch relay? I think I'm going to start at the starter switch. Not much fun when someone asks why you don't have your headlights on.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

check the fuse in the fuse box???

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,757 Posts
imported post

First, welcom to the forum.
As RB says, check the fuses. Then open up the handlebar housing and give the starter button a squirt of WD-40 while pushing it several times.
With only 17 grand on the bike the buttons and switches cant be worn out.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks Rb, that is the fist thing I ck"d. I used contact cleaner into the high/low and starter switches from outside. I guessI will have to taken apart and ck'd.It still doesn't work. I should take some meter readings or even ohm itand see where it is lost. I don't know whether to start from headlight back or from the starter switch forward. Mybe I'll luck out and one of the switches need cleaned.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
imported post

Cleaning the starter switch fixed the same problem for me on my 93 Aspencade. I was amazed I didn't destroy something and disable my bike completely as I am the polar opposite of a mechanic. It was easy except for removing the throttle cable.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

fuse??

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Fuse to starter button to high/low switch to bulb and then ground.

If it is not the fuse or the bulb then it will be the starter button needing cleaning, it cuts power to the headlight when depressed.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

Welcome Aboard This is the place to be .:waving:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.