Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

One last post tonight and I promise I'll sit back for a bit. :)

The high/low beam switch on my 82 GL1100A is either worn or dirty. It will select high and low beams, but if it is moved slightly, the headlight shuts off altogether. It takes a bit of jiggling with the switch to get it to the exact position that turns the headlight on again.

I'd prefer it stay on all the time, of course. Is this a common or known problem? Any simple cure (i.e. WD-40 or dielectric grease)? Or am I looking at replacing the whole thing?

Thanks, guys!

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

I'd try the WD-40 first, but it sounds like the contacts are ready for retirement...

O.K., now we'll both sit back a bit..... :gunhead:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The good thing about those switches is that they can be stripped and cleaned easily. I'd try that and give it the WD40 as well before scrapping it.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I pulled the switch apart. It was pretty filthy inside, with some grease on the handlebar where the switch slides around. When I disassembled it, the plastic switch cap came off first, and there was a sliding rectangular copper bushing that covered the opening. To me, it looked like that should be used inside the switch, not outside the switch, so I moved it. I cleaned the contacts, they look relatively OK and unworn. Moving the switch manually with it not assembled on the handlebar works perfectly - no flashing, no place where both high and low beams are off. As soon as I assembled it back onto the bar, it does exactly the same thing - it is finicky, and takes a bit of jiggling to get the light to come on either high or low beam. Touch it a bit, and the light goes off altogether.

Take it all apart again, clean it again, check it again - it works perfectly, no jiggling, no finickiness. I put the switch on the bar as it is when it is assembled, it works perfectly.Reassemble it back into the assembly, and it's right back to its old tricks again.

I can't seem to see anything that might be causing it. It feels almost like it is out of alignment, or raised slightly off the bar, so that the contacts are misaligned, but looking at it, this really can't be the case. Trying it with the copper spring in and out made no difference.

Any ideas anyone?

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

You will have to try bending the tab slightly and also stretching the spring. You should be able to get it right after a few tries.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I would avoid wd40 unless you use a cleaner AFTERWARD. WD40 leaves a residual of oil, this picks up dust, which collects moisture, moisture leads to more corrosion

locksmiths love wd40. people spray it in their sticking locks, and before long the locksmith gets to replace your lock.

use an electrical contact cleaner

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sure getting a lot of non-Wing avatars around here. REDWING will probably initiate an investigation if this kind of thing goes on much longer.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
Sorry. I don't have a picture of my Goldwing to put up, the only one I've got is me on my GSXR, so here it is. I'll get a picture of my wife on the wing, she's much nicer to look at than I am anyway.
No need to be sorry, just pulling your pedal extremity!:tongue:

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

It sounds to me like there should be a spring metal plate to keep pressure on the contacts. Maybe it's cracked or lost it's "spring".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.