Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I need to know how to temporarily turn off the headlights on my '89 GL1500. I go to work before sunup and the lights are not appreciated in the parking lot

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
imported post

My guess is someplace federal...

Ruaidh

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
imported post

Hey mosbro, welcome to the site. I'm too big a motard to get you an answer (the obvious for me would be to install a simple on-off switch) but the rest of the geniuses (geniuii?) will be on shortly to get you a real response.

Ruaidh

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

mosbro wrote:
I need to know how to temporarily turn off the headlights on my '89 GL1500. I go to work before sunup and the lights are not appreciated in the parking lot

Do the newer machines have an option of having the headlight(s) switchable? It would be nice to be able toswitch it off when, say in neutral, or with parking brake:goofygrin:eek:n. Big drain--little battery.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
imported post

I installed a simple single pole toggle switch on my 86-I for much the same reason. Only down side was that my high beam indicator lamp is on as a reminder that my head-light is off..... :baffled: :gunhead:

"GENIUII" ???????? Priceless...........:grinner:

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

OK... we all need to know.. totally confused here ... If you go to work BEFORE sunup... Its dark before sunup where I live... and  Lights are essential  on the street , and in the parking area too... just to see... Has someone complained about your  tiny little motorcycle lights  at your work????   Really ??? ..... most modern motorcycles have un-switched headlights, as I understand it... as a safety feature .... SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
imported post

When entering certain federally protected locations (say, an airbase...) as you approach the gates they request that you dim your headlight, most drivers turn off headlights and leave marker/park lights on.

That, or I wonder if he is talking about the home parking lot and he's disturbing others while he gets ready to leave.

Ruaidh

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

When I was in the military, we were supposed to turn our headlights off when entering the security check points, but on a motorcycle they knew I couldn't turn the light off. Didn't bother them.

Most new cars nowdays have headlights that stay on all the time... they can't be turned off either.

My new car has the running lights, and it also has a sensor that turns the main lights on automatically when it gets dark. No choice but to light up the night.

Tell your parking lot friends to get into the 21st century.

Running a switch and/or a relay just introduces another failure point for your headlights.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

You could wire in a toggle switch but make sure it is rated high enough to handle the amps that the light pulls.

If you want to install a smaller toggle switch, you could always do that by running everything through a relay. That way the main amperage for the light is not going through the switch but through the relay.

If going the relay route. I would run 2 wires directly to the battery, one for the + and one for the -. Make sure to fuse the + wire. Ther is a substantial power loss on the wings at the key switch and by running the wires on the relay directly to the battery, you should increase the voltage to your headlight and thus makethe headlight brighter. You would also be able to turn the light off when you wanted to.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I hostle trailers at a frozen storage warehouse, and when I roll off the hill at 5:30 am, the extra bright headlight makes it hard for the other drivers to see where they are backing. Besides, who needs headlights in a parking lot anyway?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet mosbro!:waving::waving:

You can crank the low beam down with the headlight adjust knob on the left side of the panel. With it all the way down it shouldn't bother anyone.

If you want to wire in a switch it would be easy. Just cut thewire tothelow beam and splice in a switch with some wire. Use wire at least as large as the one you cut. Makesure the switch can handle 20A or so to prevent heating. If you wire the switch in the low beam circuit all you have to do is hit the cutoff switch and thumb the dipper switch to low. If you suddenly need light just thumb the high beam on, it would work no matter where the cutoff switch was set. I'd put it in the low beam circuit since most of the time you ride the bike has the high beam on, there's no reason to have the extra wiring and switch in the circuit when you don't need it.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

You can splice into the main low beam wire easily. Just pull out the left fariing pocket and locate the 14 pin black connector. The white&black wire is the one you need to put your switch into.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

We back trailers to the dock in a poorly lit lot. Since most over-the-road trailers don't have backup lights,the best way to NOT hit something is to make your eyes adjust to the existing light. We've been doing it this way for 15 years that I know of. It works

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.