1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

[line]

Hiyas all,

Recently removed the fairing from my '83A and found a nice used headlight that works well and looks good. Was able to stuff most of the wiring that came out of the weighted box into the back of the headlight. My question is...should I attempt to shield the wires from the heat the headlight puts off? Seems the wires would get extremely hot in there and melt or short out. Has anyone any remedies for this, as the wires are just crammed in there and touching the back of the headlight. Was thinking maybe some type of insulating material or something to use as a shield...any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

LarryG

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

On motorcycles I have owned in the past, all that wiring was just stuffed in! You could cut a piece of that thin insulated sun blocker material (tinfoil lined bubble wrap)you put in the windshield of your auto.

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

LarryG wrote:

[line]

Hiyas all,

Recently removed the fairing from my '83A and found a nice used headlight that works well and looks good. Was able to stuff most of the wiring that came out of the weighted box into the back of the headlight. My question is...should I attempt to shield the wires from the heat the headlight puts off? Seems the wires would get extremely hot in there and melt or short out. Has anyone any remedies for this, as the wires are just crammed in there and touching the back of the headlight. Was thinking maybe some type of insulating material or something to use as a shield...any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

LarryG
Larry,I doubt you will have immediate heat damage from a standard head light but long term it will degrade the wire insulation & you risk shorts in that wiring mess. Probably the easiest thing would be to shove that wiring up into the headlight housing, then get a piece of high temp mufflerwrapping from the local bike shop ($10.00-$12.00) & cut a piece of that to put between the light & wiring.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
imported post

Most headlights have plastic clips inside to help you dress the wiring. The connectors press into these bulkheads and snap in. I'm not sure on your model but mine has two openings so the heat can be easily ventilated.

Most of the heat (aka infra-red radiation) is actually dissipated out of the front lens since it is the path of least resistance (the back being a reflector). Place your hand in front of the lens and you'll see what I mean. 20-30% is retro-reflected and absorbed by the reflector and conducted into the rear housing.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks all for your replies...!

LarryG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.