Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Posting again, not sure other one worked.

Problem: I changed battery the other day. Discovered that my headlight was not working. This afternoon I took the tester and there was no fire at the fuse box or the headlight plug.

Crazy thing, suddenly the tester began showing fire at the fuse box and the headlight plug. Just as suddenly it quit. Did this a couple of times.

Is it possible, if the problem persists that I can run new wiring to the headlight? A diagram or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, it is not the tester. It worked in many other locations.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

Recently my 78 1000 hd light went on and off at will. Noticed that if barely touched starter button, came back on. Assumed starter button problem,, when lights started working ok again..boooo
just in case could help

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

You probally have an earthing problem. If you removed the battery and the fault started then, that's the place to start. Clean the earth points at the battery and then work your way round the bike.
You could also have a live touching the frame. Check the loom at the point nearest the battery to see if your disturbing the loom found you a new ground point.

You could test the theory by running a new earth from the headlight to a suitable ground and see if that works.

I hate electrics and especially earthing faults. Its a time consuming pain.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for the diagram. I am thinking it may be as stated that it is the starter switch. I traced wires, fuses and couldn't find any problems. Interesting, I used a "light meter" and checked the wire several times--nothing. Checked the fuse box. Nothing. Suddenly, checked again and the meter worked. Plugged the headlight back in and nothing. Took the headlight out and tried the meter in the plug. Nothing. 5 minutes later checked the plug again and it was hot. Put the light back in and nothing. Decided it must be the headlight itself. This morning I got on the bike to ride to work. Crank and sat 10-15 seconds and low and behold the light came on. It was still working when I got to work. I am confused.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.