Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello all.I am new to this page.Also a new proud owner of an 83' 1100 standard.I was doing some searching trying to find some tech help,but,did not find what I was looking for.Is my headlight some way connected to the start switch?When my headlight does not work,I can wiggle my start button and it comes on.If this has something to do with the satrt button,what is the best way to go about fixing it?Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum! Unoffically.. The Official greeter will arrive shortly.

Yes, the headlight is tied in the system so the light goes out while the engine is trying to start. That way more battery juice goes to the starter and not the headlight.

Replace the switch, but you may get away with taking the switch off the handle bars and spraying some contact cleaner into the switch. If that doesn't fix it, then replace the switch.

There are 2 sets of contacts in the starter switch, one for the starter, one for the headlight switch. Hard to read my manual since it's so tiny print, but it looks like the wire colors are Black/Red and Brown/White.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Same thing happened to my 1200. I cleaned the switch out and it worked fine for about 6 months before packing in for good, then I had to buy another one.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Well that is what I have done.Removed housing to get the access,and removed switch,then sprayed it with De-Oxit (this stuff is owesome),it works great now.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.