Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Heres my problem, need your help and experience, maybe someone has run into this.

Turn on ignition key, no headlights come on.

Start bike, low beam comes on most of the time but not always.

Flip to high beams, lows go out, highs do not come on, flip back to low and nothing on, no low or high.

Shut off bike, start again, lows usually come on but not always, if they do flip to high, both sets out.

When set to high indicator light on dash panel does not come on. Both high and low beam fuses are good, I replaced both in case there was a hairline crack in either fuse but no good.

Sprayed the rocker switch with silicone spray, and multi cycled the switch to ensure clean contacts but no good.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
26,550 Posts
imported post

99% chance it is the start switch. When the lights don't come on flick the switch with your finger a few times.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
imported post

Bad connection in the starter switch. I had the same problem, stripped out the switch and cleaned it and got over a year out of that before it went bad again. Then I bought a new switch.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the replys, will look into that.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

A follow up, after reading the reply's to my problem at 5:15 this morning went down to the garage and sprayed behind and into the starter switch with silicone spray. Let it sit for about 5 minutes, turned the key and presto. Lows and highs working perfectly. I will replace the switch.

Thanks much, an appreciative Lew Wilkie.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,753 Posts
imported post

Don't replace the switch, the new one will do the same thing, eventually. The switch is pretty easy to clean.

·
Premium Member
62,988 Posts
imported post

My started switch just started acting up a couple days age.. Wouldn't engage the starter.. Sprayed it with WD40 and all is well..........

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
imported post

I'll throw this out for discussion.......

I've owned 6 Goldwings over the years, and I had switch problems until I stopped using sprayed water (usually a pressure washer) to clean them.

Yeah, I know, the older models are tough to clean without spraying water. Starting with my 1988, I went to the "bucket" method, and I've not had a switch failure on the next 4 Wings.

I will admit I don't do a lot of riding in the rain either. My home area averages less than 12" of precipitation per year, and if I can avoid it, I don't ride in the rain.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I ride in the rain, though not as much since I moved to drier Southern Oregon but never use pressure water to clean my bike. Not hose pressure either. A damp rag first if it's real buggy, Bug and Tar remover if there's road tar on the bike and once it's dry from wiping with a rag a cleanup with the old Lemon Pledge. No switch problems, just lube them with contact cleaner lube from Radio Shack a couple times a year. All switches should be exercised often especially the type that stick down when operated such as the four way flasher, mute switch, etc.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,753 Posts
imported post

Armor-All type products can get into the buttons and gum things up. Pressure washers can take out your wheel bearings and brakes, too. There's no part of a motorcycle they're good for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.