Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This morning while waiting for the wing to warm up, one of my headlights went out.
Then while backing out of the garage the other one went out. I did not try the high
beams. Both bulbs were replaced this last August as one had gone out shortly after
our summer trip. On reflection I do think I detected an hot electrical odor when I got
on the bike. Anyway after nearly two years this is the only thing I have had happen
on a 20 year old bike with 93k now on the clock. Anyone else had this happen?
Or could I just have had two bulbs go out a the same time? Both are Sylvania Silver/Superstars dont remember which
Thanks
David

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Probably due to a small voltage spike when the first bulb went causing the second one-which would be aged similiarly to the first- to burn out as well.:baffled:

It just registered on me that you said--replaced last Aug., and Silvania silverstar/ultras. I have read many reviews about these bulbs failing very early. This may be just another example.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Well, the headlights work. I came home put it on its center stand and let it warm up a bit. Turned it off, pulled the side cover to the fuses. The headlight fuse was normal looking. However I dont know where the relays are located. Are the relays located under the cover next to the fuses???

NOW for the mystery. After taking the bike off the center stand and backing it out, leaned it back to the side stand
and the headlights came on!!! Seemed to work normally, then I shut the bike off and turned it back on. I would hit the high and low beams and it seemed hitting the front brake lever or wiggling the ignition switch seemed to kill the headlights. THEN, the lights started working everytime.
but MY HAZARDS do not work. The push button on the hazard switch is obviously dirty as its very gummy pushing in and and shutting it off.
The first time the headlights came on is when I leaned it back on the sidestand.
Any IDEAS??Anyone. I scratching my head over this one. So I will get some electrical contact cleaner and spray the hazard switch down to clean it.
Thanks
David

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Another update:
Headlights seem to be working without a hitch. The hazard lights only the right side work when the switch is pressed.
I cleaned the switch with contact cleaner, still same results. The whole left side
switch assembly on the handlebar could use some disassembly and cleaning is my guess. The left side hazard lights do not work. Everything else is functional.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you have a bad connection some where! suggest you check the leads inside your fairing as putting the bike on side stand made it work??? might be a bad earth lead ?? good luck some times these things are hard to track down.:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Shrek sr:
I am going to attempt to ride to work this morning. I hope the headlights stay on!! We have a GWRRA toy run Saturday morning so I dont need any more glitches. The hazard lights
are not going to be used. The indicator is not burned out as
both turn signals work but the hazard relay may be part of the problem.....at this point its just a guess. I have not downloaded the manual off this website. Just yet but I do have a chilton's manual that has a wiring schematic. After looking at the schematic its "Oh boy what a nightmare"

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

You did not say if the high beams would come on originally when the lights went out? But then all came on when leaned to the side stand and while wiggling this or that , but nothing specific? Change your low beam light relay.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Kit:
No high or low beams came on.

This morning it was the same scenario, no headlights until I backed out of the garage and turned the bike off and restarted. Then headlights did come on. But now nothing out of the hazard lights at all. Its my intent to disassemble the starter button switch and clean it up Before I move over to the hazard switch. Also locate and replace the hazard relay. Its my guess its under the cover next to the fuses.

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a relay failing or a bad section of wire heating up.

Lots of fun tracing down those mystery electrical problems.:)

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

I was not aware that there is a separate relay control for each of the high/low beams, and your origional post indicated that first one, then the other low beams went out. This led me to assume that the bulbs had actually blown. Wrong path. Time to dig out the diagram.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Yesterday evening after getting home and messing with it there
was nothing happening consistently. The only thing was the hazards not flashing until I sprayed contact cleaner on the push button. The button IS QUITE gummy, not a solid smooth click on/off. After the cleaner hit it as I stated the right side did start working. But this morning, no hazards and no headlights until I keyed the engine off and once the start button was hit and engine running did the headlights come on.
Still no hazards. Will replace hazard relay and clean the start button and other switches. Anyone cleaned the starter buttons switch? And any gotcha's????
Thanks
David

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Update:
The problem on the hazard lights turned out to be a dirty switch. Appears
same for the starter button. I used a spray contact cleaner to clean both
and it appears to have worked.
Thanks to those that responded.
David

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

It sounds like you have it fixed. There is a spray that is called Tuner-Renew. It is a contact cleaner that we used to use when I worked at a repair shop. The key is to spray a little in, operate the switch 'til your thumb gets tired, then spray a touch more and switch thumbs. That should clear up a dirty switch.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

da_bull
The hazard switch I sprayed the day before with not very good results. Sunday it was very warm (80's) here in Texas. So I sprayed the switch very LIBERALLY while working it. Then let
it dry for about 20 min outside and the lights worked.
The starter button I sprayed as well while holding a terry cloth beneath it and quite a lot of junk dropped out.
Merry Christmass everyone!!!
David

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.