Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi everybody,got a problem i need help with. i just replaced heads on my gl 1100 engine. there is a oil restrider that fits in each head and block. when i 1st. cranked it i heard a metal sound that sounded like grinding metal. it stopped and i did not hear it anymore.is there anyway that this could have gotten into the cyl. wall. the reason i am asking is that i have alot of smoke when i crank it. it stops after it burns it out. i know there is a reason for this oil reducer or honda would not have put it in the engine.it smokes out the left exhaust.the one i heard the sound in.another reason i wonder is that i tore it down to replace the valve seals. i removed head cause i had 3 bent valves. i am getting alot of money in a bike that was to only have 20,000 miles. i really believe that it had turn over on speedometer. meaning 120,000.there is noway i will ever get anywhere close to the money i got in it. by the way,my main ride is a valkryie. any help or advise will be welcome. thanks again hoghideman

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
imported post

what kind of grinding noise if the restrider had fallin into the cyc. it would cause a knocking noise

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

Do you mean you lost the restricter and might have been lying in a cylinder or do you mean you don't know? mowerdoc is right, it would be a knocking or pecking noise not a grinding noise. The main reason for the restricters is to keep it from loosing too much oil pressure to the heads, keeping the pressure on the crank bearings. It will not cause it to smoke if they are not in there.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

i guess knocking is a better word to use.it only lasted a few seconds.the valve covers where off and it seemed that it was pushing alot of oil out .maybe it fell down in the cyl.when i was installing the head.i hope it didn't groove my cyl. wall to bad. i really believe that's whats causing the high level of smoke.thanks hoghideman

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

I just don't see how it could fall out, it goes pretty far into the block and the gasket helps hold it in. They do pump a lot of oil into the head, I know, I started one with the covers off.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
imported post

You can pull plugs and crank motor see if any thing can maybe seen through plug hole also small magnet into clyinder through plug hole may also help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.