Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm a new bike owner so please be gentle. I recently purchased my '86 aspencade and was told it was factory wired for intercom. I purchaced two chatter box headsets one for myself and one for my passenger. I looked under the left fairing pocket where I was told the connector could be found. The only available 5 pin connector I found has a male end on it. This doesn't match up with the male connector I have on the end of the extension cord for the chatter box. Is there some other adapterplug I need, and is there another plug somewhere for my passanger? Can someone please tell me whatI need to make this all work? Thanks!:)

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Someone has removed the pigtail cord that goes into the one you see coming from the junction box. What about the back one for the passenger, is that visible on the left rear side of the saddle?

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks everyone for your help so far. Tonight I went to the local Radio Shack and found a 5 pin coupling connector that enabled me to get hooked up to my bike. It took care of my male/male connector problem. unfortunatelyI still have no plug for my passanger...nothing under the seat and no junction box.

If I managed to make my own jct. box does anyone know if the mic would work or just the radio. Also is the bike able to power the 2 chatter boxes without doing damage to the radio/bike?

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Father of 4 wrote:
I'm a new bike owner so please be gentle. I recently purchased my '86 aspencade and was told it was factory wired for intercom.
Hey Father of 4 :waving: Welcome to the forum. :clapper: Heres wishing you many safe miles on your new :12red:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

Hi Father of Four:waving:

Welcome to the forum.

If you trace the main wiring loom under the seat you should find a red connector, with maybe a clear plastic cover on it. You then connect a connection called a pigtail which will be red at one end and with a 5 pin din female connector at the other end.

If it is any help my chatterbox headset has a corresponding 5 pin din male connector, bike to headset and a 6 pin din conncector for the headset. One of the pins is inactive.

Both headsets are wired together within the loom and back to the radio/intercom.

Various options go between the bike and headset such as fader control, push to talk and volume control.

Needless to say I am presuming that the 1200 is similar to the 1500.

A great source of exploded diagrammes with part numbers can be found at goldwinginfo.com. Haven't been there in a while, but worth a look.

Hope this helps!

Brown Bear:cool:

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

Hi Father of Four, Father of Five here.....

I had the same problem as you with my 86A. No junction box.
I'm not good at wiring so Dave Campbell made up a junction box for me. (see thread you were referred to). It works fine with both driver and pass headsets. Intercom and radio work as they should.

He may be willing to help you out if your having any problems with putting together a junction box. I think you can email him by clicking on his name in the box next to his replies.

Good luck and welcome to the board. I've gotten lots of good help here.

Airbeat

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the info! I think I may contact him and see what he has to say. So far I have nothing but good things to say about this site....very cool!!!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.