Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just bought two sets of J&M headsets for me and the wife. Does anybody have any helpfull hints on installing these in Shoei full face helmets? The directions talk of cutting the polystrene to make the earpieces and microphone fit. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

I got a tip off the wingnut some time back, cant remember if it was on the forum or elsewhere on the site, or maybe by email. Instread of cutting the foam (it takes ages, gets all over the place and you never get the hole neat), get a bolt and weld a large washer or nut onto it, then heat it on you cooker or with butane. Then grab it with a vicegrips so you don't get burnt and melt the polystyrene where the headset speakers will sit. It makes for a very neat hole and no bits of poly all over the inside of your lid.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

First I would test fit them, may be enough room without cutting anything.

Use a "Popsicle" (craft) stick to gently shove the wires in around the edge of the helmet, the wire seem to be the most fragile part of the headsets.

If you decide to cut the chinbar padding and liner to insert the microphone, you may end up with a lot of unwanted windnoise, you can always offset the mic to the side a little bit if it is in your noses way when donning your helmet.

If you want to cut the styrofoam, I've always traced with a razor knife and then used a spoon to gouge it out, vacuum the inside of your helmet after cutting the foam.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

You can also use a small spoon. Hold it with vice grips, bend the handle as needed to reach in and melt the foam. Then heat it up. An old butter knife can help too. Just be carefull not to over do it! If the spoon starts to look dull red, it's too way hot.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

Hi !

Don´t mount the microphone in front of Your mouth. You will hear every breathing from either Your mouth or Your nose. Put the microphone a little to the side. The sound will be just as good.

Regards

Thomas / Sweden

:18blue:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Thomas wrote:
Hi !

Don´t mount the microphone in front of Your mouth. You will hear every breathing from either Your mouth or Your nose. Put the microphone a little to the side. The sound will be just as good.

Regards

Thomas / Sweden

:18blue:
That's a good point Thomas, not many people think of this. :clapper:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yeah they do, but after they mounted it in front!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.