Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:waving:I just purchased a 83 Aspencade which has the Honda radio / CB/ intercom system. I also own a 83 GL1100 standard and purchased a Motocomm headset, which plugs into my Chatterbox CB Radio and Cycle Sound Kenwood stereo. I am looking to make or buy a connector between the two systems. The Honda uses a 5 pin standard connector and the Motocomm uses a 6 pin mini plug.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Hi Jerrk :waving:and welcome to the best goldwing forum on the net ,,I know nothing about radios and intercom except I alwaysend up with a headache when I take the wife out on the bike with me :baffled:,,,strange .....

Just hang on in there and some of the GURUS will come onlin and will give you fast answers to your question ,,,enjoy the forum ...cheers Ciaran
:waving:

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

I would just get out the multitester, and start probing. Open up the headset, and clip a test lead onto a wire (speaker, ground, mic, etc.) and figure out where it leads in your 6 pin setup. Then use the following picture:

to figure out the rest.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

:18teal:Thank you for the greeting. I'm very excited about getting this bike on the road. My friend and I are in the process of rebuilding the carbs right now. He's the expert. I'm the watcher. I picked the bike up for $100.00. It's a 1983 Goldwing Aspencade gl1100 in great condition.

A older woman (in her 70s) came into my shop for car repairs. She told me that her grandaughter ran through the garage door and hit the dresser but missed the motorcycle. Motorcycle, what kind? She said it was an 84 Goldwing. That her husband died 2 years eariler, and she tried to sell it for $250.00 but no one wanted it. She just wanted to get it out of the garage and would gladly take $100.00 for it or just give it away.

I went over a few days later to see the bike. It's an 83, not 84, but in great condition. She said her husband crashed it some years back so it was a salvage title, but he repaired everything. The paint looks almost new and the chrome buffed up nicely. I had to put a rear tire on it, replace the speedo gear and it needs the carbs done, but it does run.

It's going to be a fun summer.

Jerry:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thank you. Please read my 1st reply. I appreciate the help.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

Hi Jerry,

I'm brand new to this forum as well. Just picked up an 83A (Nimbus Grey) this past summer, also from a deceased owner's son. Been rebuilding much of it. I ride it all over.

I am curious how the carb rebuilding goes for you guys. Curious to know if the carbs have a built in filtering screen under the needle/seat assembly? If so is your's plugged? What was crudded up in your carbs? I'm faced with the same carb rebuilding task very soon here.

BTW, I keep a journal of all the 83A repairs with some pics if it might help. http://www.rotordesign.com/83a.html

What color is yours?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hi Mike,

Just finished the carbs about an hour ago. We haven't sync the carbs yet, but it runs great right now. Here's what I know. Buy the Honda factory kit. They have the right parts and o-rings in them. I bought some cheaper kits from a company in Canada for $71.00 and it was a waste. The o-rings did not look the same. Also buy the power valve diaphrams. There are 4 of them. I't will cost you about $300.00 but it's worth it.

The carbs were really gummed up with all the jets plugged. Part numbers for the kits and power valves are as follows. 91301-371-005 and 16048-429-771. Also get some Berrymans carb dip, which shoud come with a basket as well as some brake clean and carb cleaner. Puchase a cheap plastic flat organizer for keeping the parts seperate.

I like things looking nice, so I purchased a buffing wheel for my bench grinder, some Mothers polish and rouge and polised the caps and manifolds. I then spayed the caps with clear. They look like chome now.

We did not take the carbs off the main manifoild, and we were able to do a pretty good job of it. As I said, the bike runs great now. I took in on the freeway and it ran great at 70 mph and idles smooth. Can't wait to sync the carbs and see how it runs then.

One last thing. It's real tight getting the carbs out. You just have to play with it. Once the air box is out of the way, pull the spark plugs wires into the false tank. That helps a little. Pull the two right hand caps off number 1 & 3 carbs and you need to lift the front carbs up and pull out through the left side.
Good luck. :clapper:

Jerry

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

:action:wexman wrote:
Hi Jerrk :waving:and welcome to the best goldwing forum on the net ,,I know nothing about radios and intercom except I alwaysend up with a headache when I take the wife out on the bike with me :baffled:,,,strange .....
the adjustment for passenger volume is a sharp elbow to the ribs!!! :action:

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Jerryk wrote:
Hi Mike,

Just finished the carbs about an hour ago. We haven't sync the carbs yet, but it runs great right now. Here's what I know. Buy the Honda factory kit. They have the right parts and o-rings in them. I bought some cheaper kits from a company in Canada for $71.00 and it was a waste. The o-rings did not look the same. Also buy the power valve diaphrams. There are 4 of them. I't will cost you about $300.00 but it's worth it.
Jerry, buy some good quality O-ring stock and make your own, much cheaper. Theyll assemble with Super Glue. So will your fingers:cheeky1:Then you can make any size ring you want.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Dave Campbell wrote:
:action:wexman wrote:
the adjustment for passenger volume is a sharp elbow to the ribs!!! :action:
Hi Dave:waving: ,,I tried that and now my ribs are killing me and she is still wrecking my head and as loud as ever ,,,:D:D:DCiaran

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.