Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
a friend of mine bought the J&M headset for his 1992 goldwing. He has the radio in the picture. The headset don't work, nor for the pilot nor for the passenger.... no output in the speakers. The radio works with the external speakers and the headset simbol swithc on when I push the headset button. I checked the headset with my bike and there are no problem. So the headset is good. I checked the front cable pins (as for tips in this forum) and they are correct . I have to check te radio connector to see if they are inserted correctly. Could it be a radio issue? If yes do you know some workaround to make it working?
Thanks in advance
Andrea

Attachments

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Was it working for him before this or is this a new to him bike and has not used the intercom with headsets?

It might be the connections under the shelter Tupperware are loose, disconnected, pinched wire or dirty. Inspect closely. Start by checking all the connectors that they are clean, use electrical contact cleaner, disconnect, spray in and connect/disconnect a few times, respray too and blow out with compressed air. Sometimes people are not capable of working on things requiring thinking and using tools.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
I found a missing pin on my cable once, and it did what you describe. Mine broke on the angled connector that goes to the helmet. Everything worked, but no headset audio. Speakers worked fine. Hope it's a simple fix for ya. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
I agree with Jimsjinx... I just replaced a bad connector on my front headset that had 3 pins with half of the pin missing... The female 5 pin DIN connector such as used on the front and rear of our Gold Wings uses a pin inside the connector that resembles a u shape... After repeated use these pins in the connector tend to break and half of the U-shape pin falls off resulting in intermittent or no contact at that particular pin...

As I said, I found 3 pins like this on my driver headset connector on my intercom cable after experiencing intermittent audio one day - it's worth checking by looking into the connector with a magnifying glass or loop...

Les

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry to reply now but I didn't receive the notification.... if it was a pin on the headset connector he should have the problem only on one headset or not?
This is a new bike for him, never used the intercom and the pin can't be the problem as the headset with its cable works on my bike....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Andrew,
I don't know if this will help, but maybe it can encourage creative exploration.
My 85 Aspy has the full setup: CB, Radio, Auto Volume/Speed compensation, etc. The radio was wonky on several levels so I sent it off to Sierra-mc for repairs. When it came back, I turned it on, checked everything out and it looked like everything was working, so I grabbed my headset and plugged it in..... nothing..... hit the headphone/speaker switch on the radio... still played through the speakers. I was sad, I was planning to use these headphones all the time.

With it still plugged in, I decided to try out other things, so I moved onto the CB. Turned it on, and heard a pretty pop through the speakers telling me that a new audio device was in the mix.... turned the squelch, heard this hiss... OK, CB is working....

Then I noticed the Speakers/Headset switch on face of the CB. Thinking it would bring the CB internally to the headset, I gave it a flip. BOOM: *ALL* audio now came into the headset!

I confirmed this action a few more times and yes.. sure enough.... because of the CB unit, the radio head units functions don't all work like you would think they do, and the CB actually seems to take priority over where the audio from the entire system channels to.

Don't know if your friend has a CB unit, but if he does.... encourage him to flip every switch he can to see if he can find life in those headsets.

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Andrew & ResDog,

The intercom, AM/FM/Cassette and CB all function independently on the GL1500 Wing... Depressing the CB squelch control will switch the CB to either headsets or speakers... Likewise, on the AM/FM/Cassette radio, there is a speaker/headset push button which routes AM/FM/Cassette into the the speakers or headsets... The intercom volume control feeds ONLY the headsets and is not switchable to speakers...

If your friends radio is not working this way, something is either wrong with the radio, CB or bike wiring... If you have a shop manual for the bike, you could start by checking the wiring in the left front fairing pocket and under the seat... The only other place that would be suspect is the area in front of the radio (under the shelter) where the main connectors plug into the radio... You'll have to pull the center shelter and fairing pockets and key trim panel to get into the radio there... Consult your shop manual for dis-assembly instructions... If the wiring looks correct, it most likely is a radio issue and the radio would have to be sent to Sierra ( or your local shop) for repair...

The links below may be of some help

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500console.htm

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/images/headsetwires.jpg

Les

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Dadz,

Thanks for the info. I suspect my GL1200 is a little off the factory setup. Like I mentioned before, selecting headphones on the radio head unit will mute the dash speakers when a headset is NOT plugged in. As soon as a headset is plugged in, the head unit switch does nothing and the sound keeps coming out of the dash/external speakers. Only by switching the Speakers/Headset switch on the CB unit do I get audio through the headset.

It's been fun 'learning' how this system is setup. And this is after the radio came back from Sierra-mc with this issue specifically called out on the list. I have no reason to think Sierra is in error... it's more how my bike seems to be wired.

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Ah - sorry Resdog - didn't realize you had a 1200... I had one years ago but it's been too long to remember how the set-up worked... It was definitely different than the 1500 so I'll take your word for it and extend apologies for not realizing you had a 1200...

When I had my 1200, I built a custom CB panel for it using a Cobra CB radio that mounted in the saddlebag... Then I cannibalized the control head and used those connections for my front panel... Some where around here I have the article they did on it in Wing World on it... That CB worked really well and utilized an electret mic which I also integrated into my boom mic housing - the radio had fantastic audio - crystal clear and plenty of it... I still use the older Airrider mics with the external 9 volt battery and electret mics - great audio from those set-ups...

Les

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Sorry to say it's beginning to sound like it - I can't think of anything we have missed... About the only thing left is to send the radio in - not an easy task from Rome, I'm sure... Good luck with the repair...

Les

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Ah - sorry Resdog - didn't realize you had a 1200... I had one years ago but it's been too long to remember how the set-up worked... It was definitely different than the 1500 so I'll take your word for it and extend apologies for not realizing you had a 1200...

When I had my 1200, I built a custom CB panel for it using a Cobra CB radio that mounted in the saddlebag... Then I cannibalized the control head and used those connections for my front panel... Some where around here I have the article they did on it in Wing World on it... That CB worked really well and utilized an electret mic which I also integrated into my boom mic housing - the radio had fantastic audio - crystal clear and plenty of it... I still use the older Airrider mics with the external 9 volt battery and electret mics - great audio from those set-ups...

Les
I also use a elect mic, the audio from these mics are very good, much better than a dynamic mic.

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
You said it Terry - I love the electret mics... Wish someone would start making headsets again with them...

Les

·
Vendor
680 Posts
I would check the neck of the radio, where the connectors are, for open solder lands. It is very common problem with these aging radios for this to be the problem when there is no headset operation.
I might also mention that all Honda audio systems have always used dynamic mics. Honda is the only M/C that has not went to condenser mics. J&M in 86 made some condenser headsets that used a separate power supply but it didn't work well when driver had a condenser and passenger used a dynamic and with the cost close to $250 at the time it didn't sell well. The only other condenser headset was made by AirRider and it used a 9 volt battery to supply the bias voltage for the mic.
Every now and then someone will mention that they have 6 pin connectors and they have to change over to 5 pin pigtails and do away with the J&M power supply.

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
I'm still using the old AirRider's with the 9 volt battery (I have 3 of these headsets) and absolutely love them... If I could find more of them either used or new, I would buy them in a heartbeat...

Les

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
You said it Terry - I love the electret mics... Wish someone would start making headsets again with them...

Les
Dadztoy, I made my own headsets for both mine and the wife's helmet, the circuit board attaches to a small housing on the side of the helmet and I use two of the Energizer 2032 3 volt batteries to power the mic. So far it's been a year and the mic's are operating great.

I'll post a picture of the helmets

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.