Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I agree with Jimsjinx... I just replaced a bad connector on my front headset that had 3 pins with half of the pin missing... The female 5 pin DIN connector such as used on the front and rear of our Gold Wings uses a pin inside the connector that resembles a u shape... After repeated use these pins in the connector tend to break and half of the U-shape pin falls off resulting in intermittent or no contact at that particular pin...

As I said, I found 3 pins like this on my driver headset connector on my intercom cable after experiencing intermittent audio one day - it's worth checking by looking into the connector with a magnifying glass or loop...

Les

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Andrew & ResDog,

The intercom, AM/FM/Cassette and CB all function independently on the GL1500 Wing... Depressing the CB squelch control will switch the CB to either headsets or speakers... Likewise, on the AM/FM/Cassette radio, there is a speaker/headset push button which routes AM/FM/Cassette into the the speakers or headsets... The intercom volume control feeds ONLY the headsets and is not switchable to speakers...

If your friends radio is not working this way, something is either wrong with the radio, CB or bike wiring... If you have a shop manual for the bike, you could start by checking the wiring in the left front fairing pocket and under the seat... The only other place that would be suspect is the area in front of the radio (under the shelter) where the main connectors plug into the radio... You'll have to pull the center shelter and fairing pockets and key trim panel to get into the radio there... Consult your shop manual for dis-assembly instructions... If the wiring looks correct, it most likely is a radio issue and the radio would have to be sent to Sierra ( or your local shop) for repair...

The links below may be of some help

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500console.htm

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/images/headsetwires.jpg

Les

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Ah - sorry Resdog - didn't realize you had a 1200... I had one years ago but it's been too long to remember how the set-up worked... It was definitely different than the 1500 so I'll take your word for it and extend apologies for not realizing you had a 1200...

When I had my 1200, I built a custom CB panel for it using a Cobra CB radio that mounted in the saddlebag... Then I cannibalized the control head and used those connections for my front panel... Some where around here I have the article they did on it in Wing World on it... That CB worked really well and utilized an electret mic which I also integrated into my boom mic housing - the radio had fantastic audio - crystal clear and plenty of it... I still use the older Airrider mics with the external 9 volt battery and electret mics - great audio from those set-ups...

Les

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Sorry to say it's beginning to sound like it - I can't think of anything we have missed... About the only thing left is to send the radio in - not an easy task from Rome, I'm sure... Good luck with the repair...

Les

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
You said it Terry - I love the electret mics... Wish someone would start making headsets again with them...

Les

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I'm still using the old AirRider's with the 9 volt battery (I have 3 of these headsets) and absolutely love them... If I could find more of them either used or new, I would buy them in a heartbeat...

Les

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.