Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

About to buy some J & M headsets from Chromeworld, and have a few questions.

I'm looking at the ones that are 59.95 apiece (gonna get two). Anyone have anyexperience with this model? There are more expensive ones, but I don't want to spend360 for headsets whenI can get another model for 120.

Also, do Ineed to buy anything else to use themwith my passenger? IE, a volume control? Rear fader? I don't have rear speakers or a fader,and wasn't sure what I needed for the headset use.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

With headsets it depends on what you wish to use them for. If you wish to use them for simple communication with the CB, the low cost units are just as good as the expensive ones.

If you wish to listen to music then the better headsets do perform much better and of all the headsets on the market, EDSETS have the best sound.

With any of them you will need to purchase the lower drop cords from the headset to the bike separately as they do not come with the headsets. (with the exception of some of the J and M do include the lower cord, depending on the model)

Hope this helps.

Kit

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I have the exact one in my wife's helmet. Better speakers than the stock ones in my helmet. I like the way the cord "locks" to your helmet for strain relief on the cord. You'll like em. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

The wife and daughter have the same ones from J&Min thier helmets. They say they work well. Actually the wife tells me to turn the radio down that it is louder in her helmet than in mine. I have the older J&M headset with the 90* plug. Gonna have to get me the newer J&M's:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

I just got in the two that I ordered for my Dad......we tried them out last week end on a ride and they worked great. The radio sound was not as crisp as some of the more expensive ones, but for communication between driver and rider they worked good. Came with lower cord and allen wrench...took about 15 minuets each helmet to install.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

I have that model J&M. The music sound isn't great. The clamp that holds the mic to the helmet isn't very strong. If you bump the mic very much, the clamp will slip, until the boom falls off. You get what you pay for, and I'm not complaining.

John

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I have the same set, and got them from Chromeworld as well. I've been very happy with them. To me, I thinkthe sound is real good. Have to be careful when switching from speakers to headset,,,,,,,, it can hurt the ears. Just need to remember to adjust the volume before switching.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

I have had them for a couple of years and for the price they are pretty good(IMHO).I don't use them for music.I figure the 4 speakers on the bike are better for that and I like to hear what's going on around me.The lower cords come with that model.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

I have four of those headsets for my numerious helmets. On the helmet I use all the time, I removed the speakers from J&M and soldered in the speakers from a leftover IMC headset. The difference was amazing from the flat, tin sound of the J&M to the rich sound of the IMC. The IMC were also flatter and fit the helmet better. I solved the boom falling off by using some "Super Two Sided" tape from Radio Shack. I put it in both sides of the clamp and the boom hasn't moved since. I did all the helmets the same way with the tape and they are all very secure. :dude:

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks to everyone who responded....Guess I've got a little more research to do, as I'll be using them for both music and comm between wife and I. Probably shoot for something in between.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
imported post

Another issue with riding two up is my wife is always telling me turn the volume down.

I don't have a passenger volume control and wish I did. We both have the elete JM headsets but as with anything the wife always wants it different than I do (colder, warmer, louder.....)

The only reason I haven't bought one is she now has her own bike so she doesn't ride with me as much.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

A simple passenger controller is useful, I used mine on the 1500 and in fact fitted it in line on the front, not the back, as there seemed to be some imbalance in volume and mine was louder and needed turning down.

I found the J&M's fairly good, while they lasted, but I did experience component failure after about 18mths to 2 years from purchace.

Although I haven't tried them myself the Edsets do seem to get very favourable comments, so might be worth looking into.

:waving:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.