Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am just taking a minute to moan and groan. I have an 1800, with Hondaline headset, Shoei 3/4 helmet with full visor. I wish I could enjoy the radio and iPod. I can hear very well up to about 45 mph, then the wind buffeting progressively takes effect and by 65 mph, I can't hear much music at all...just distorted bits and pieces along with the intense wind buffeting. Same is true with the CB or weather band.

I raised the windshield up to the highest level, it helped a little, but not much. I installed Baker wind wings (hanging on the mirror), and didn't see any improvement at all. When I am riding at say, 65 or so, and lean forward with my head down below the windshield level, I can hear the radio fine with very little distortion. I am only 5' 11", but am tall from the waist up...perhaps that contributes to the problem ? With the windshield at the highest position, the top is about between my nose and eye level.

Have any of you experienced this type problem, and if so, what do you think is the best way to deal with it ?

My wife and I were having so much problem with the wind buffeting on the intercom that I purchased the "mic-mutes" to toggle on/off the intercom as needed. Otherwise the amplified wind buffeting was terrible.

But - having moaned and groaned....I love this bike !
Dave

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,149 Posts
imported post

I'm the same build as you. 5'11" but with short legs.

On my 1500, I had a 29" tall windscreen on it. There wasn't any buffeting for me, but I still picked up some wind noise that made it hard to hear headphones.

I gave them up altogether. Just crank up the speakers and went on down the road.

Maybe I needed a better helmet? Dunno, but I wish I could find something that worked as well as my Bose noise canceling headphones for my airplane. Problem is, those won't fit under a helmet.

And they weren't cheap either :X

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi AZ,

Haven't thought about noise canceling headphones. Sounds like you might be on to something there. If they work on an airplane, perhaps development for motorcycle helmet/headset application would be a real possibility. I think there would be a market out there.

Someone might read this thread, conduct some R&D, then take the idea to market. That would be a good thing !

Best wishes, and thank you for responding,
Dave

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Most solutions solve one thing and create another.

The only two that I think bear mention is either obtain a wider windshield to cause the turbulence to move out and away from you. Even with that this is great for the rider but when you move the air flow out , it whips back in just right to buffet the passenger.

So a wider more wrap around shield would change the air flow. You can see if this would help your situation by using a stiff cardboard extension on both sides of the shield for a short time. The tape and cardboard will stay on long enough to see what the result of a wider shield would do for you. Be sure and clean the tape sticky off the shield right away, so it does not sit and get hard and possibly damage the shield.

A modular helmet. Or a full face. Either one will keep the airflow from making too much noise to hear with. I have some nice 3/4 helmets, in fact my wife absolutely will not wear a full face and I have to watch her at gas stops as she has been known to just sit a helmet on the gas pump and accidently on purpose forget it. :D Hard to get her to wear a helmet.

But a different helmet will allow you to hear. I also cannot hear very good with the 3/4 helmet, I can hear but have to crank the volume way up, and it distorts the sound.

Also the end of a rubber glove finger, slipped over the mic and held in place with a rubber band will do as good a job as the mic-mutes in keeping wind noise out of the intercom.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

dave95sps wrote:
Hi AZ,

Haven't thought about noise canceling headphones. Sounds like you might be on to something there. If they work on an airplane, perhaps development for motorcycle helmet/headset application would be a real possibility. I think there would be a market out there.

Someone might read this thread, conduct some R&D, then take the idea to market. That would be a good thing !

Best wishes, and thank you for responding,
Dave

Sign me up.

The Bose really work. I like the kind that fully cover the ear. Now we need helmet work. The military phone talker helmets might work but they are very large.

This is a good question for the people at Bose.

Longboater

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Just a question ,Hve you got your intercom turned up too high?? if you have the intercom on you will get a lot of wind noise ,try turning the intercom off and then turn your music up ,I ,often have to lower my music volume on my 1800 ,as I find it too loud in the headsets ,you may also have a problem with the type of headsets you are using ,Make sure the speaker is over your ear and not sitting too far back or forward in the helmet ,Ciaran

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

I agree....BUT...if you get too much 'noise cancelling' on the back of a bike it could present a dangeroussituation in hearing 'sounds' around you. (i.e.-emergency vehicles, CAGE horns or the presence of any vehicle slipping up on you) :shock: On a bike you want to use"ALL" your 'senses' that you have available to you to help you stay one step ahead of the idiots and other dangers on the road.

As Kit said, "Most solutions solve one thing and create another." :doh:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,149 Posts
imported post

I was going to mention, and forgot to, that my Bose headset is the full, over the ear type. Huge soft rubber cushions that totally cover your ears.

Wonderful for comfort, but it totally eliminates outside noises.

I have worn them at a pistol shooting range. The loudest 44 magnum pistols are just barely detectable if the headset is turned on. Turn it off, and they still muffle the sound a bit, just enough to keep your eardrums from being blown out of your head.

What I need is something that will allow me to hear traffic, but get rid of the high frequency sounds that the wind noise creates.

There are special headsets made now for shooters that do a very good job of just that. They allow you to hear speech so you can talk to your buddy. But when a sudden sound is detected, they totally cancel it out. The cancellation effect only lasts for as long as required to prevent damage to your ears.

search for shooter's noise canceling headsets. Some of them now are less than $50. They do not have cords to provide you with music, they just simply cancel exterior noises.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

I have a 1500 with HJC Symax flip/full face helmets, with Edsets in them and they work great. No wind noise from the mic. Having a full face helmet, with the mic buried in the chin bar shields it from all the wind.

I know you probably don't want to replace you helmets and headset... a bit pricey... just thought I'd give you my two cents worth.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

If I am able to determine my style helmet is the problem, I would gladly buy a different one. A fellow winger here in my area has suggested we go out for a ride (as soon as our weather breaks from the cold) and trade helmets for a bit. He has an open face HJC. Mine is a 3/4 Shoei with flip-up visor. He claims no buffeting at all in his headset, but he is shorter than I am. Perhaps his height makes a difference.

I have the wind buffeting with or without the intercom on. When it is on, the buffeting is amplified, but the mic-mutes I recently installed should help with that because you can turn the system on/off by a quick click on the cb switch.

With the intercom off, I still get the buffeting, especially bad at highway speeds. The headset clears up nicely when I lean forward , lower my head and avoid the buffeting. Can't do that for very long though, haha...

I sure do appreciate all your responses. I'll try my friends helmet first. I think I am a bit too tall for the windshield actually, and I don't like the looks of the oversized ones. Has anyone heard of lar-mor (something like that). Another Goldwing friend in my area said they offer an extension/wind diverter that fits on the OEM windshield (?)

If the helmet is not the problem, I will try Kit's suggestion with cardboard and tape and see if I can isolate where the buffeting is coming from.

Thanks guys. You are the most knowledgable and intelligent people I know !
Dave

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts

·
Premium Member
662 Posts

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
The Laminar Lip. Looks like this.

GL1800, GL1500 Windshield Touring Lip - Honda Goldwing Parts and Accessories
http://www.laminarlip.com/cruiser.htm

Might be ok if you look over the windshield all the time. Something like this would drive me totally crazy.

Kit
I have one on my Bandit. It works really well. I prefer it to the larger Rifle shield I bought. While I agree that I would not want to look through it, the thing is that you do not need to look through the shield with the lip on. It raises the calm air pocket without raising the shield. I may try one on my 1100. If I do, I will post the results.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

The Windbender looks interesting. Reminds me of the electric windshield on the BMW K1200LT. I watched their video demonstration, and at the high position, it doesn't look higher than our existing OEM on the 1800. But I don't know for sure. I would like to see the measurments for both OEM and Windbender.

Wingstuff has this one for sale made by National Cycle that has some unique contours that may displace the wind effectively. Does anyone know anything about this one ?

http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_det...oup_list/gl1800/191_goldwing_Windshields/des/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.