Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

are all heal and toe setup's similar. I find mine very dangerous. I must admit that I have only had the bike 2 day's but I can put up with the shifter but the brake is very dangerous. I had to make a quick stop on gravel covered pavement and got lots of front brake but foot did not find rear brake. Got a little exiting for a second or two.

The problem on my 1500 is that with my feet on the floorboards the shifter and brake are behind my feet and have to move them back and up to work the pedals.

I could live with this for the shifter but not good for the brake.

Are all setup's simmilar or are there sone that have the controls closer to the boards

Wilf

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,581 Posts
imported post

That sounds like a wierd setup. Usually the brake and shifter are in front of the boards. That doesn't make things a lot better though. You usually still have to lift your feet for braking and downshifts.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

I've only ridden one 1500 with floor boards, heel and toe and I hated it. If it were mine I'd go back to stock setup. I am 5' 9" with 30 inch inseam and I couldn't get my feet over the boards to get to the ground when at rest. You are right it is dangerous.

the good news is that the foot pegs are cheap, ebay or even a dealer, and usually you don't have to buy new shifter or brake pedal.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,688 Posts
imported post

I also have floorboards on my 1500, and the brake pedal is a bit slow to get activated.

Working on that situation now, but the floorboards will stay. I enjoy the extra foot room too much. But, I can plant my boot heels flat on the ground, and that makes a lot of difference.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

wilf wrote:
are all heal and toe setup's similar. I find mine very dangerous...
Wilf
Hey Wilf

Heal Toe is what you do after you stub it!

:cheesygrin:

+1 on losing the HEEL toe setup and going back to stock. My1200 had the same issue and it was downright dangerous considering the linked brakes. Went back to stock and love it. You can also add footboards or pegs to the engine guards for long hauls.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Had boards with heel toe setup for 25 years I don't find a problem with them. I was 5'7" with short legs one time probably less now.... we tend to shrink with age and all the washings :) but with my custom diamond seat and my SWAT boots I can pretty well flat foot it.

I cant remember if I felt them dangerous at the start but I imagine it would take a while to get used to them.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

there is a second set of boards on the crash bars. They do not feel very comfy. AS far as the boards being in the way of feet while stopping they are far enough ahead to let my feet down behind them. Perhaps thats why the brake is so far back?
So on a setup with heel and toe and boards is the brake pedal stock or is it also replaced?
Wilf

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

wilf wrote:
So on a setup with heel and toe and boards is the brake pedal stock or is it also replaced?
Wilf
The brake pedal is stock, just adjusted higher than it was without the boards.

I'm in the 'hate the boards' category myself. Tried them for a month on my '86 when I first got it and hated them more every day. Couldn't wait to get rid of them. There are lots of people that love them though. It's just a personal taste issue. My guess is that if you hate them now, you'll probably hate them more in a month but I could be wrong.

John

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

Im the opposite, I have them on my 1500 and love em. Yes it did take a while to get used to movin my foot up for the brake, but you get used to it and it actually makes you (I feel) more aware of whats going on around you. You know in advance you need extra time and any little thing you notice or need to be prepared for makes you move your right foot up to the foot peg and ready to brake...my .02

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
imported post

What I didn't like about the floorboards was the constant scraping on even the most moderate lean in.

I think they were on a spring that would cause the board to flip up when they hit pavement, like pegs, but I always wondered what could happen if I hit a pothole just right with those big boards. That always worried me.

I will say that the extra leg room was nice. My inseam is 34" and leg space is premium for me.

However I just didn't feel safe so away they went.

I think the best thing you can do is give it a try for a month or so and see if you become comfortable with them. If not, get rid of them.

As far as the positioning of your setup, it does sound strange. What I had was a brake pedal that was mostly even but slightly forward of where my foot rested on the board. All I had to do is lift my foot up and on to the pedal. So as to your original question, no, all setups must not be similar.

So I think you have three choices;

A.) See if you get used to what you have with a little patience.

B.) Look for a heel/toe set up that is not behind your natural foot position. Or maybe possibly yours is adjustable??

C.) Go back to pegs.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Floorboards are not for everyone. I have 36 inseam and loved the boards on the open highway. In town in stop and go braking they were an accident just waiting to happen
for me. When I first got the bike and having never ridden one with boards just about
wrecked it four times on the way out of the P.O's long driveway. Next morning I was so
sore from manhandling that monster that first 150 feet. I do miss them.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
imported post

I recently bought mine with the floorboards as well. It's my first wing and first bike with boards and thought they were very awkward and dangerous. Now after 2k miles of mixed riding I really like them. I like the relaxed foot position and having to lift my foot higher to brake is no big deal. I'm also cautious not to apply too much pressure on the shifter when shifting. Yes they do scrape sometimes when cornering.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

I have boards on mine, they were installed by the PO. I road the bike for about 500 miles before I took anyone for rides, and the first time I did I found an issue: the pedal hit the board mount. Even during panic stops I did solo, it never happened, but three miles with my wife on the back I did a panic stop and found it. I adjusted the pedal up (IIRC), and removed some meat from the bottom of the pedal. It will not hit now, and I have pleanty of brake travel in the pedal.

Boards are not for everyone, but I like the comfort they give me. As for the heel/toe being an issue, its all on how its used. I don't bang gears.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I'll see if I can get some pick's of the setup. The boards put my feet at a nice comfortable spot. Just need to get my brake pedal closer to that spot. The boards on the crash bars say Markland. havent found any markings yep on boards by shifter.
I think the seat is stock but shure seems to get me to far forward. Are the 1500 seats ajustable.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

on my 1100 it had a heel toe shifter on it i removed the heel toe shifter and put a stock shifter on it, i moved the floor board down about 1/2 inch so my foot can fit over and under the shifter i like it and my feet like resting on the floor boards too

on the brake yes i agree that you dont have alot of travel
i took a piece of aluminum 2inches tall by 1inches wide i found lying around at work, i then welded it onto the pad on the brake pedal knurled it up a bit with a grinder so my shoes can get traction on it now the brake works fantastic if you cant get acess to a welder you can drill it and use some bolts

it works great and you get to keep the floor boards which are nice to have on long trips each person likes pegs or floor boards

i like my floor boards

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I've never had floor boards so I can't say much, but I do know that I don't think that I would like them either. Just give them a try and maybe a few adjustments and you might end up liking them. who knows.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

All my rides before my 1500 were cruisers, so I was used to reachng up for the brake., andI enjoyed the more cruiser like stance.However, the brake that came with the boards that were on the 1500 when I bought it had a heal rest that sat above the board and was where you set your foot to apply the brakes. That thing was just plain dangerous. My foot would catch on it everytime I had to make a stop in a hurry.

Another word of caution, I suspect the heal toe shifter of being a major contributor to the 4th gear shifting fork being worn out at 74,000 miles. Previous owner(s) may have rested their foot up on the shifting mechanism while riding. I know I did. Might be all wet, but I like to think that's the reason a Goldwing Transmission went out at 74,000 miles.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,688 Posts
imported post

Never had floorboards myself until I bought the '98 in my avatar.

Started home with them in Tampa, Florida. Within 10 seconds I swore they were coming off.

Didn't have tools to change them, a couple of days later, started thinking "ya know, this is kind of nice on the highway".

After a 3,000 mile ride with them I have decided to leave them on. I'm getting too old to be trying to act like a dirt bike rider in his prime, which I was once upon a time.

Those boards dragging on the corners just serves to tell me to slow it down son, you will live longer.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i agree az when im leaning abit to far they sure lemme know to ease up lol

i aint a rice roceteere

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

My '85 LTD came with floorboards, a heal and toe shifter, and a heal and toe brake pedal. Apparently you were supposed to keep your feet on the pedals around town. I found it vwry awkward and dangerous. I also thought it was stock, having never owned a Goldwing before. But I found it unacceptable, and stated looking into it, and found it was not stock, that the bike had come with a regular shifter, a regular brake pedal, and regular pegs. A trip to eBay provided these items, And the bike is now 10 times easier to ride. I gave the floorboards, shifter and brake pedal to someone in WA, who wanted them for some reason. One thing for sure, I will never ride a bike of any kind with a set up like that. I wouldn't have minded floorboards mounted forward, but the heel and toe pedals were just terrible, and the floorboards stuck out so far that even with a 34" inseam I could not touch the ground with both feet at the same time. Getting the stock controls back makes the Goldwing ride like a regular bike.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.