Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I got a call from a tech at Sierra today - they had finished with my radio tuner, and he took the time to tell me what was wrong.

The radio worked fine, but would start drifting off frequency as soon as it started to warm up. When it was hot out, it would start drifting within a minute or two after it was turned on.

The problem was two coils, right outside of the FM tuner box. There was corrosion underneath the coils, where they rested against the board. He removed the coils from the board, took them apart, cleaned all the corrosion out, and put them back on the board. The radio now works perfectly, and it cost me $106 (shipping included).

I also asked him about the CB transceivers. He told me that the most common failure in the Clarion II CB's is an 8 volt regulator that supplies the RF power amplifier. When it goes, the CB will receive, but won't transmit. A cheap and simple fix. He said he has NEVER seen a CB with blown finals in it - they are apparently extremely resilient.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
imported post

Thank god for Sierra. They are excellent to deal with and charge a fare price. I love vendors like them.

Linheart

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
imported post

just got on here to say samething sierra also called me today to tell me my radio was done.they found cracked circuit board i also sent tuner with radio and have them go thru it said everything works good.$100.00 not bad at all.to me better than getting one off fleabay.now i know what i got:D:D

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
I also asked him about the CB transceivers. He told me that the most common failure in the Clarion II CB's is an 8 volt regulator that supplies the RF power amplifier. When it goes, the CB will receive, but won't transmit. A cheap and simple fix. He said he has NEVER seen a CB with blown finals in it - they are apparently extremely resilient.
This might be the problem with the system I just installed. I got the new helmet yesterday and installed the headset in it, rode to my brother's today and never got a reply on the cb from anybody. The transmit light was very weak on it when I first installed it, today it wouldn't light at all.

Now I wonder how hard it will be to open it up and check that 8v regulator.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
This might be the problem with the system I just installed. I got the new helmet yesterday and installed the headset in it, rode to my brother's today and never got a reply on the cb from anybody. The transmit light was very weak on it when I first installed it, today it wouldn't light at all.

Now I wonder how hard it will be to oepn it up and check that 8v regulator.
:waving:I had a similar problem with my CB early 2008 so sent it to Sierra for repair and in my case it was a bad capacitor. The repair charge was only $96 which included shipping it back to me which I thought was very reasonable. Reinstalled the CB on my '83 Interstate and have not had a problem since.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

For the most part blown final output transistors are a thing of the past. I haven't seen a transmitter in the past twenty years that didn't have self protection for the final transistors to prevent high VSWR from damaging them. Most modern or reasonably modern transmitters can stand key down with an openantenna leador even a shorted one.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

83GoldWinger wrote:
Bagmaster wrote:

Now I wonder how hard it will be to oepn it up and check that 8v regulator.
:waving:I had a similar problem with my CB early 2008 so sent it to Sierra for repair and in my case it was a bad capacitor. The repair charge was only $96 which included shipping it back to me which I thought was very reasonable. Reinstalled the CB on my '83 Interstate and have not had a problem since.
Well, I've got one more thing to test on it tomorrow before I decide to send it off to Seiarra. I'm thinking I need to re-do the pigtail I made for the coax straight feed to the cb, I'm thinking the pl259 connector I used from Radio Shack isin't making the proper ground.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.