Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Large Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, while cutting up carpet samples to line the trunk and saddlebags, I made yet another discovery-the heat vents. All this time I thought those doors were for access to screws for the plastics. That means all this time I wasn't getting heat. They do not open with the knob, I have to manually open them when the knob is showing open. They will close with the knob. So something is hanging up there. When I open them with my fingers I can feel some hesitation. I'm thinking that there needs to be some lube sprayed in somewhere. How do I get to the cable or whatever it is to do this? I'm planning on disconnecting the radio and CB today as they don't work. I will have the center console out and the seat. I also plan on adding my new light bar as well so some of the stuff will be removed, can I access what I need to get to? If it's involved, I'll just leave as is because it's getting to the point I won't need them and save it for if I need to go that far with the plastics. Just wondering how to fix this minor inconvenience.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Wilmo, when you pull the lower plastic with the wired corner just above the valve covers. The heat tubes are in there, it's just a flap in the tube. The lever has a fork on the back that works the flap. It's real simple once you get the plastic off. The heater vents don't work very good if your going faster than 40 mph you won't feel them. Be real careful with the corner piece's the little tab's break off real easy. There's screw covers on the corners that you have to remove so don't pry or force parts off until you get the screws out. Ask how I know and the PO must of been a cave man on my bike. I can take all the plastic lowers off my bike in my sleep now but in the beginning it was a pain to not break something. Good Luck and take your time.

·
Large Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say wired corner do you mean electrical or spring wire?
I've been looking at those lower covers already. The PO already has broken many tabs off. In fact, there were two screws on each corner of that lower cover not even there because they've broken out the holes the screws go through, there's no reason anymore to put screws in there. But I found that if I bend a fender washer just so, I can use that and a new screw that will grab the plastic just enough to cinch it up and be effective. I've added several screws to the bike that have been missing and a lot of rattles have now quieted down. Where I'm mounting the light bar today, there are no screws there either, there will be when I put the light bar on. Obviously, the PO knew just enough to be dangerous and probably cussed Honda for their poor engineering by his standards. Just grab and rip because it might take a little gray matter to stop and figure it out, he was unarmed.
I'll take a look at all that and see what I need to do, but really, the heat vents are not a concern, just like to have things operate as they should. The real project I have next is to figure out why the temp gauge doesn't work. That will be time consuming and I'll learn all about the plastics then so I'll save that for when I have a whole day to contribute IF I don't feel like riding, Yeah Right.

·
Registered
394 Posts
If you change the Spark Plugs you will see the vents and how it all works. The Vents are part of the side panels of the False Tank plastic. The vents slide inside the tubes when you reassemble the plastic. I am surprised at how much air goes thru or under the plastic on these bikes. If you ride your bike with a side panel off there is a ton of air going under that plastic, I guess to help cool the motor. I think Honda did some pretty good Engineering with the plastic but it is a pain to take off and on. I have to find a door for my trunk because I lost one the other day on a rough road. The little pocket doors on my bike were taped in place when I got it so I removed the tape and glued the doors shut. This GL 1500 was a mess when I bought it and I have had to do a lot of work to get it in shape. My 1985 LTD aged a lot better than this GL 1500 also this bike had 141,200 miles and the LTD had 41,000. The LTD set inside a nice barn with a bunch of other bikes so things didn't get worn out. Now I know what has been done to this bike and what needs to be done plus I'm a pretty good Honda Goldwing wrench now still learning but I know a lot.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,235 Posts
I think folks confused the foot warming vents and the heat/cool air vents on the rear of the fairing by the rider's shins.
Foot warming vents are cable actuated by a knob on the dash, the other ones are a small lever on the vent itself.

Reactions: Aloha Tom

·
Large Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I'm one of those. I thought the vents in the cowl were the heaters. Live and learn.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.