Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

We are considering buying heated clothing for late fall early spring riding. We ride a 93 GL1500 Aspencade. Anyone have suggestions or wisdom on what is the best to buy?

Thanks for any input.

Bill

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

I just use a heated vest, any brand, works for me down to freezing point.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the quick replies. Appreciate it. Hal, thanks for the link. We are in Canada for a few monthes so we should be able to order from this site.

Bill

·
Premium Member
59,035 Posts
imported post

If you haven't up graded you alternator you my have a problem with the extra amps you'll be using..
My 93 Asp can just handle the lights........

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Cyclemax has very competitive pricing, free fast shipping for Gerbing's heated clothing, not to mention great service!

Another brand of heated clothing that others are giving a 'thumbs up' , is the ' Synergy ' line, from Tourmaster. Their line includes the temp controller, saving you a few $$, as you have to buy those separately with the other manufacturers. I can't comment on the difference in quality/effectiveness between the two brandsthough. :baffled:

Right now(until December 14th) Wingstuff.com(slow to ship, 5-7 days:stumped: )has a sale going on, with a 10% off promotion on almost everything they sell(coupon code - Jingle Bells), including their Synergy line of electric clothing. Once the goods are shipped, they arrive in 3-5 days here in upstate WA(my US shipping address).

Both places will ship internationally, to Canada, but expect high shipping costs. Getting them shipped USPS is the most cost effective/preferred method of cross border shipping as they(Canada Post) only charge you a flat $5 Brokeragefee per package(plus taxes), while UPS/FedEx etc, charge very exorbitant amounts, for their "Brokerage fees"!!:gunhead: :shock: :whip::thumpingmad:

If you are currently close to the US border, look for a shipping/receiving business that will accept these shipments and hold them for you,(do a google search)for about $4 per package. :goofygrin:

Dusty

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hey Foodman, looks like you have the exact same bike as I do.So how do you upgrade the alternator to handle heated clothing? It this a big job?

Bill

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

Love my cortech synergy clothing, has individual controlers included with each garment which allows individual control of each garment so if you are overheating in the chest area you can turn down the jacket while not affecting the pants or the gloves. Not to mention that all the clothes are far less expensive than the gerbings

·
Premium Member
59,035 Posts
imported post

Foxtrot 5
I haven't changed mine out yet but, if you go back a couple 3 pages to Nov.27 12.36 AM there is some great information on the Compu Fire alternator..
It will explain what I mentioned plus all you need to know..
Over here in California I just put on another layer of clothes.............
Don't let them kid you BLACK is the fastest..........

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

changed mine out a few months ago replaced my original alternator for a compufire and a gel cell battery it took all of 45 min and that was with a couple of beer breaks...went smooth and seamless...one of the easiest transitions possible...I recommend it to everyone...regards Larry

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
imported post

When I rebuilt my stock alternator last summer, I was advised that it was good enough for 2 vests. You think that's not the case? 93 Interstate

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

you will know as soon as you plugin those vests if you see that alternator output does not keep up with electrical draw then eventually you will have a situation when you will have a deficit. Me personally..I would rather have more than less and do not want my alternator screaming fullout trying to keepup with the demand.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
imported post

I agree with the too much not enough thing. Would have Compufired if I had thought stock was not enough. O well, ain't bought vests yet anyway. Brian

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

My Tourmaster Synergy heated vest with collar works real well. I like the convenient controller that is included and also all the wireing needed to conect to a 12 volt sorce. Looks extremely well made. The vest is new, so I have no opinion on durability, but the reviews are good. Only complaint I have so far is that it is made in China..... but so are Harley leathers!

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

My Tourmaster Synergy heated vest with collar works real well. I like the convenient controller that is included and also all the wireing needed to conect to a 12 volt sorce. Looks extremely well made. The vest is new, so I have no opinion on durability, but the reviews are good. Only complaint I have so far is that it is made in China..... but so are Harley leathers!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.