Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The cold brings about changes to my 'Ol 'Wing. When it's really cold out, my forks, my front-end gets a bit more firm.

I like it. It does loosen-up a bit after riding for a while though. If the oil was heated, I'd never know what stiffer springs might feel like.

Now I want stiffer springs. :ROFL:The ride is much better.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
imported post

I guess that makes sense Steve. A few miles workout has to warm the oil and fork internals up. :weightlifter:

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Yep Zeke, it sits in a unheated garage'at the ready' andat the mercy of the temps.

This realisation is a bright-spot in a otherwise general feeling of guilt for it being out there with the other 'project bikes'.

:D

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

At least you get to finish your project bikes Steve. Some of us never get that far, a garage full of half finished dreams......

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Well, I don't know. One of them has been sitting out there longer than I had imagined it would. I think it's waiting for someone else, ...maybe a kid to finish it off.

In that garage it's: dirty, dusty, sometimes wet, cold in the winter, hot in the summer, and the door is up and down so often that heating or cooling it makes no sense to my wallet. The 'Wing is King in there, ...and I think it knows it.

It's a happy-'Wing that hasn't let me down yet despite my (seemingly uncaring) treatment of it.

New springs are on the list now. The darn bike talks to me. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Are progressive springs different for the 1200 and the 1100?

I have a set of 1200 I took off my 85 LTD with only 13000 miles on them.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Jobe, I don't know. I'm not really up on the 1200's much at all. It's all I can do to keep up with the 1000 stuff.

Some of these guy's have a broad range of knowing about the different models through experience though. They'll tell 'ya.

I sure like the stiffere ride I temporarily get when it's really cold out though. I'll have to do something about it now. It's like getting a peek at something when you're a little kid. :smiler:You know, you just gotta have it.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I couldn't keep seals in my forks due to pitting on the forks so I got another set of forks off an 86 SEi. For some reason, the air in the front wants to go higher than it should, odd thing is it does it all at once, the pump will come on, run for a little while then shut off, or go to the back, but all of the sudden the front will jump up, and the gauge will red 21 PSI, sometimes as high as 40PSI. I don't think it's going to 40, but I do think it's going to 21 because it's very stiff, and yes, I like it too... The handling seems very responsive.

If some knows if the progressives for a 1200 will fit in an 1000 Please let us know.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I did a internet search and there is a different part number for the Gl1000 versus the GL1200's so they probably would not fit.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

im sure its possible to do but you'd have to rig up tubes at the drain tubes going to a heated radiator block and forcing it back into another set of tubes or something like that

seems like more trouble than its worth

just wrap some of those hand warmers around the forks and call it good

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

On cars I see block heaters - for motorcycles I see tire-warmers.

But now a new marketing opportunity? Fork heaters!!

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
imported post

I was thinking everyone had there BIKE talk to them,I didn't know that wasn't true. :?:?:ROFL::ROFL:

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

there is a market for everything just make sure to get the parts in chrome makes it more sellable

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Well, I just thought I'd post creatively about finding out that Icould usenew springs.

The cold has to be good for something, right? :smiler:

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

Maybe you need heavier fork oil instead of stiffer springs although I do like both myself.
!200 springs probably won't work in a 1000, the fork tube diameters are a good bit different.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.