Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am looking to buy some heated gear and I cant afford $1000.00 at one time for everything so I thought maybe we should start out with jackets ,should I get liners ?

or complete coats or vest ,who makes a good product ? where should i buy them ?

please forgive my stupidity but we have only been riding for a year now and I'm still learning

Thanks for helping , i am so glad there is a place to go for help

:action:

·
Just one of the guys
4,799 Posts
imported post

Go with the jacket liner, not just the vest. With the vest my arms still got cold. The wife finds the vest to be OK but she can tuck her arms in front of herself, as a driver that does not work too well. I have tourmaster and I usually start out with it on high for about 2 or 3 minutes then turn it all the way to low or I get way too hot. I got mine at my local Honda dealer for the same I could find it online.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

My wife bought me a Gerbing jacket liner and dual controller. I used it for the first time this morning on the way to work. Although it wasn't cold out it sure felt god having it on. I can see my riding season just got extended a little later into the season as long as we don't have snow or ice on the ground. It's hard to find but worth every penny in my opinion.

:action:

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
imported post

DougW wrote:
Go with the jacket liner, not just the vest.
+1
I have a Gerbing's jacket liner, gloves and pants liner. The heating elements are fully guaranteed. They are by far the best motorcycle accessories I have ever invested in. In New England, where I get to do most of my riding, the heated gear greatly extends the riding season, especially through the autumn and early winter months. I have problem with my fingers in the cold so I started off with the gloves. The jacket liner was my second investment. I will often go for a ride on the motorcycle on a cold day just to enjoy the warmth of the heated gear. The gloves and jacket liner work so well, that I rarely turn on the heat in the pants, but it is nice to have that option on those real cold, 350 mile days riding through the twisty, winding back roads of New England.

A little story - years ago, when I was young, a very frugal, but wise neighbor advised me to buy tools. He said "Jack, you are young. If you invest in a good tool, it will last you the rest of your life. If you cost it out over the rest of your life, you will see that it will cost you an insignificant amount each time you use it." He was right. I take the same attitude towards heated gear. Not only does it greatly extend my riding season, it makes it very comfortable and enjoyable, and if I cost it out over the rest of my life (or at least the rest of my riding years) the cost will be insignificant. ... now if I could just convince my wife that the same reasoning should apply to a new 1800 :readit:...

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

put your clothes in the dryer and throw them on really really fast have the bike running and floor it about 1 block is good distance

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

I have the vest and it keeps the rest of me warm but I think I have good circulation. I doubt I would every need heated gloves as my hands stay warm in quality winter gloves. My wife has the jacket, pants liner and could use heated socks. We pack around packs of those foot warmers for her feet. She will turn her jacket on high while I keep mine vest on low.

We have the Synergy stuff and they have some problem. I most likely will buy Gerbing in the future. Looking a Gerbing troller to re-place the crappy Synergy troller that has a bad record of failure. We have had 2 jacket/vest style trollers go out. Both jackets we have also had the keeper that keeps the incoming wires in place tear out and now there are wire designed to be inside the jacket hanging out.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Given that you've only been riding for a year, I'd wonder why you're convinced that you need heated gear?

We ride all over the place and never feel the need for it, even down to 15F... but to each their own.

We did try heated vests (Widder Brand), but found that they got Way too hot... uncomfortable actually.

Personally I'd suggest first exhausting all other (and cheaper) climate control options, before going electric, such as installing:
-Wind Wings
-Tall windshield
-Heated grips (The heat from them will actually heat the rider's entire body... Won't do anything for the passenger though)

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Gerbing jacket liner on top of Under Armour long sleeve shirt with Gerbing gloves all controlled by the dual control setup. The jacket liner is covered up with at least a sweat shirt to retain the heat. The use of wind / rain gear (Frogg Tog) is important for me as well, for retaining heat.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Gerbing jacket liner for me and add pants and gloves for the Mrs. Although most of the time she just puts on her Frog Toggs rain suit to stop the wind and she's warm that way.

If you are on a budget, the Jacket Liner is your best bang for the buck.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I have had the Gerbings jacket liner, gloves and socks for several years. They make it possible for me to ride all year in comfort.

Dubs

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
imported post

Gerbing jacket and single controler. Worn as suggested over long sleeve tee or some kind and covered with sweat shirt, than your riding jacket. Goloves next and they will hook to jacket. Gloves if you don't have heated grips. I never needed pants. Gerbings company is top notch. They will fix it forever for free although after 100k miles I have never needed to send back.

One pice of advice, when starting out in cold heat up than adjust temp down as you wish. NEVER let the cold get ahead of you. I have used the Gerbing jacket and gloves and have ridden all over North Georgia and the state of Washington in temps as low as 17. Always nice and toasty. They are worth the money.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I bought a Gerbing jacket liner and gloves last fall. Now I wonder why it took me so long, for the first time in many years I had no discomfort in my hands in the cold. In the Cascades riding in 28F temps I actually was completely comfortable for once. Ditto on a early season visit to Mt. Lassen, comfortable riding is sleety weather. I would recommend that you buy the dual controller. Even if you only plan on using one Gerbings product it's always worth while having the extra channel on the controller in case one side crapped out on a trip.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I bought a Gerbing jacket liner and gloves last fall. Now I wonder why it took me so long, for the first time in many years I had no discomfort in my hands in the cold. In the Cascades riding in 28F temps I actually was completely comfortable for once. Ditto on a early season visit to Mt. Lassen, comfortable riding is sleety weather. I would recommend that you buy the dual controller. Even if you only plan on using one Gerbings product it's always worth while having the extra channel on the controller in case one side crapped out on a trip.

Right you are, "I wonder why it took so long". :sleepy: I just added the heated gloves and and dual controller as the grip heaters and seats quit. I found even with the heated grips that my thumbs got uncomfortable in the 40s & 50s with rain. No, I do not plan on repairing the heating system just yet, maybe later in Dec / Jan for the annual maintenance replacing the air cleaner and such.

(single controller is available if interested)

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

A lot depends on how you set your system up.....

I started off with a vest that I made myself from internet instructions: I hot-glued loops of teflon wire to an old t-shirt spit down the front, and then rough-tacked the t-shirt to an old pile vest....topped it off with a lamp cord and an SAE connector.... The thing worked, even though the connection to the teflon wire and the lamp cord was a great hassle, but my wife hated the looks of it and eventually bought me a Widder ready-made. Google up "homemade motorcycle heating gear" and see what you come up with.

Store-bought or homemade, the vest needs something to capture the heat. I wear first synthetic fleece, put the electric vest over that, and put an old climber's down jacket over that, and then a riding jacket over everything. The down jacket captures and distributes the heat, and I'm good down to about 20* Fahrenheit. The Widders (no longer produced) get very hot, and so I put in simple off/on switch in my power lead. When I'm cold, I turn it on; and when I'm hot I turn it off.....works great!

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack do you use heated clothing skiing? My wife and I ski when we are not riding and it's always been a battle to stay warm riding the lifts.

A heated jacket liner would be pretty nifty if we could use them three seasons!

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

wingsound wrote:
Cousin Jack do you use heated clothing skiing?  My wife and I ski when we are not riding and it's always been a battle to stay warm riding the lifts. 

A heated jacket liner would be pretty nifty if we could use them three seasons!
No, never been able to figure out how to do that! On a bike, of course, you have the alternator to power up the heating coils, but skiing you'd have to depend upon batteries. Too heavy for the purpose intended, although I've head of some folk using D-cell powered socks.

Do you just get cold riding the chair? Sitting on that cold surface loses a lot of heat by conduction. We ski in relatively warm conditions, but I've seen some people using a foam pad to ride the chair -- kind of a roll down affair around their waist. When they get up to the chair, they let it down and sit on it, and roll it up again when they get off...... don't know who makes the pads, or where to get them.... should be simple to jury-rig such a thing....

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

Gerbing coat and gloves with a dual controller. My girlfriend has just the coat and she plugs into my controller if she is riding with me. Just a tee shirt underneath and my Joe Rocket Ballastic coat over the top. (water proof)

I look forward to the cold weather here, as that stops the rain and opens up a new riding season for me here in Seattle. When it is 50 degrees and raining.... my bike is parked. 30 and cold. I am riding.

I also bought the boot liners but they are still in the package.

WATCH CRAIGSLIST for good used equipment. People will take less than 30% of new for gear when they quit motorcycling...and some of it will be brand new.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Along with a full heated jacket liner, the installation of an inexpensive grip heater kit makes riding in cold weather much more comfortable

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.