Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello, This forum is great!! We have a 1992 SE and are looking into having wiring put in to run heated gloves, jackets, etc. vs. heated grips. What do you have and or what do you recomend? Thanks for all the input!!! :cheeky1:

In His service,

Harry ;)

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Hello Harry. Heated gloves are great but are very bulky, personally I find them too bulky for my taste and it's awkward to get at the bikes controls. Heated grips are good but the backs of your hand and fingertips that don't get near the heat stay cold. Weird feeling that.
I know a bike courier who uses a combination of heated grips and a set of hand muffs (the things that cover the grips and levers and you slip your hands into) and with a pair of lightish gloves. This is a very warm setup, although I know that lots of people hate muffs because they might trap your hands if the bike goes down.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Some heated gloves are not much thicker than many so-called winter gloves. If your battery will take it then go for it.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

I am a muff advocate, with velcro quick releases they come right off. I ride down to the low teens, (Farenheit), with no discomfort. I use leather gloves inside the muffs.

I am opposed to heated gloves or grips, the load on the alternator is unacceptable in my opinion.

I would suggest you experiment with a "temporary muff" before you invest in modifying wiring. A very reasonable, (Albeit ugly), temporary set of muffs can be made from ladies or childrens fleece lined rubber boots which you can buy for little outlay. You cut the sole from the toe back as far as you need to to pass over the levers then use ducting tape to seal it and secure it.

I learned this trick once from an old BMW rider, (You know the type? They look like they have been on their bike riding for the past 50 years? CONTIUOUSLY?). I was crossing the Southern Rockies in winter on a CB750 and my hands were so cold I had already melted a plastic glove grabbing an exhaust header in desperation. He took pity on me as I sat in a coffee shop with my hands under me. We dropped by a local store, $20.00 and I was on my way with "Temporary Muffs". They worked!

Try it, if it is sufficient for you...IT was for me... them a permanent and far prettier set of muffs may be a far better answer than putting undue load on the electrical system.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I've found that wearing a pair of thin surgical vinyl gloves inside my regular riding glovesworks great. I buy them at a local discount auto store - $6 for 100 pairs!

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

For me it is grips - tried gloves but they were too bulky for my liking. As mentioned by jkobman combined with silk inners your quids in. And yes the military do use the silk inners as well and they do work

rgds

Phil

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

Harry,

Except for snow, I ride year round in Northern New Jersey. I use a combination of both. I prefer the heated grips with a pair of windproof ski gloves. My passenger prefers the extra warmth and bulk of the heated Gerbing gloves. When temps are merely cold the heated grips and Aerostitch Elkskin Roper gloves do it for me.

The gloves were easy to wire but I had the dealer install the grips.

Stay warm, Rich

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

:clapper:THANKS TO EVERYONE!!!:clapper:

I am still not sure what way I will go but the feedback has been great.

Thanks,

Harry :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.