Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hello all, i am thinking about adding heated grips on my 1500. i am sure they will keep my palms warm, but i have problems at the tips of my fingers and toes. will the grips help keep my digits warm? or am i wasting money?

thank you

Robin

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

Not trying to be a smart azz, but why would you need them in floriduh? I didn't think it got cold there :baffled:

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
imported post

I put a set of Hot Grips on a Kawasaki Vulcan I had and they worked great.
They have a hi and low heat setting. I could only run for about 15 minutes on hi then I would have to switch them to the low heat setting because my hands would get hot.
Here is their website:
http://www.hotgrips.com/

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

DigbyODell wrote:
Not trying to be a smart azz, but why would you need them in floriduh?   I didn't think it got cold there :baffled:
because i don't just ride in Florida. i may go to Alabama after Xmas. plus, i was in Colorado the first week in june and it was in the 30's there. i'd like to be prepared for next year's trip out west.

Robin

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well heated grips are nice. I used mine today, it was below freezing this morning and up to 52 degrees about 2 in the afternoon. Have been on a couple runs to North Carolina when it never did get above freezing last year. In moderate temps the grips are I suppose pretty good.

But when it is cold, and misting rain, and conditions are just really nasty, the waterproof heated gloves are the thing. They keep your whole hand warm and dry. Also if you want to rest one hand or the other and not have it on the grip, the gloves still keep your hand warm.

Same with heated seats, if you wear good heavy riding pants like I do and if you have any type of seat pad such as the airhawk, you might as well forget the heated seat.

Kit

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts

·
Just one of the guys
4,799 Posts
imported post

I have heated grips on my snowmobile, they do indeed keep the whole hand warm as long as the gloves have good insulation on the backs where the wind hits. I ride the snowmobile in tmeps down to below zero and they are good at that temp.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

First accessory I added to my bike (well second) well worth it!!! The heat actually keeps all of you warm
Dunno why you would need them down there though????

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Hi SB,

I just bought some heated grips from GM Cycle and was wondering where to hook up the wire harness. How did you hook up yours? Did you go directly to the battery or what? I also have a GL1500. Where did you put the temp controller?

Thanks............John

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
imported post

It gets cold in Florida. Visited friends in Tampa last week, it was 32 degrees on a ride and the high was only 51.

The heated grips are great. Have the comfort package on my 08 GL1800 and love it. They will keep your hands warm, especially with a good pair of motorcycle gloves.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

I can say for a fact that the Hot Foot really works. I had to ride 50 miles in uniform from one base to the other it was 25 deg out side at 2 am. my feet never got cold even though I was wearing desert boots with the sides that are mesh. But my hands were very cold even with heavy winter gloves on. I think I am going to try the heated grips also.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
imported post

Motosickle wrote:
hello all, i am thinking about adding heated grips on my 1500. i am sure they will keep my palms warm, but i have problems at the tips of my fingers and toes. will the grips help keep my digits warm? or am i wasting money?

thank you

Robin
Robin,

You'll wonder why you waited so long! The best combination is heated grips and Hippo Hands for dealing with the finger tips.

I installed two setting heated grips on my '83 GL1100I. I've found I can wear lighter gloves and/or with the "Hippo Hands" no gloves at all. I just lighten my grip if my finger tips begin to chill.

The best thing for keeping my toes warm is making sure my legs aren't being windchilled! I'm a believer in lined and/or insulatedjeans! Then if my feet are still getting chilled I'll put on my rain gators. It doesn't seem like much but it adds a layer that isn't transfering body heat to the cold.

Ridedaddy Ride :action:->Steve

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I too love the heated grips, I often ride in zero or sub zero temperatures and they make al the diference to keeping all areas of my hands warm. :)

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

cycledude wrote:
the best thing i've added to a motorcycle since the windshield is HEATED GRIPS !
this is what i use
http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit1.htm
mine are installed under the stock Honda grips, they can be installed under almost any brand of grips, very easy to install
I've been waffling on buying some form of heated grips/element for my 1500. I've looked at the 'usual' heated grips but decided that I wanted to go with the Kuryakyn Iso Grips, for more 'hand comfort'that comes witha larger grip. I wonder how well they work at transferring the heatthrough the 'bulk' of theIso Grips. Anyone have any experience to offer with the combination of the above heating 'element' and the Iso Grips on a 1000/1100/1200/1500 or is there a lot of 'heat loss ? :baffled:

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
cycledude wrote:
the best thing i've added to a motorcycle since the windshield is HEATED GRIPS !
this is what i use
http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit1.htm
mine are installed under the stock Honda grips, they can be installed under almost any brand of grips, very easy to install
I've been waffling on buying some form of heated grips/element for my 1500. I've looked at the 'usual' heated grips but decided that I wanted to go with the Kuryakyn Iso Grips, for more 'hand comfort'that comes witha larger grip. I wonder how well they work at transferring the heatthrough the 'bulk' of theIso Grips. Anyone have any experience to offer with the combination of the above heating 'element' and the Iso Grips on a 1000/1100/1200/1500 or is there a lot of 'heat loss ? :baffled:
I wouldn't anticipate a loss of benefit at all. My experience is based on a deterioration of grip material on the "Hot Grips" I installed two seasons ago. Last spring I installed an "ISO Cover" over the grips for the same reason you're choosing the product your mentioning above AND because they "dressed " the appearance up. Maybe a slight change in the intensity of the high setting over a long duration of operation and a little less use of the low setting.

Ride daddy Ride

Steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.