Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Does anyone have any experience with the AerostichWindstopper heated jacket liner? I wore mine today for the first time. It was 51 degrees. I could barely tell that it was on. My friend has the same heat controller as I do and had his 25 year old Widder vest on 3 and had to turn it off. I never took mine off of 9 (the highest setting). I am not satisfied at this time. I am not dissingAerostich. I haven't talked to them yet. I'm just asking if anyone else had this experience.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

The trick to getting lots of heat out of your jacket liner is to wear a long sleeve T under it and then a tight fitting jacket overtop of it. (They are meant to be worn underneath another garment)

If your outerriding jacket has adjustable 'take up' on your sleeves, (forearms and biceps area)tighten the sleeves right up. If the heated jacket liner fits loosely over your body, you won't get much heat 'transfer'

While my leather jacket is fairly snug, both in the body and the arms .....

.... my Tourmaster 3/4 lengthriding jacket has adjustable 'take ups' on the sleeves and waist (Velcroe strips) which snugs the outer riding jacket in tight and is a warmer combination.

Today was 20* out when I left the house and it reached a high of 40. I put on close to 400 miles today and never had my heat controller (variable type) past 1/3rd

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Dusty, Thanks for the input. What kind of liner do you have.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I have a Tourmaster Synergy heated jacket liner. It has elastic panels on the sides to keep the jacket snug to the torso, but my gut interferes with that a bit. :D

It sees a lot of use. I take it with me on mytours as high mountain passes can be chilly/cold in the shoulder seasons and fends of the damp coolness of Sept rains in the east. It also does double duty as I wear it around camp/off bike when the temps drop. Nice Jacket that's stood up well.

While the elastic panels on the side do a pretty good job of keeping the torso of the jacket snug against you, those same elastic panels let any breeze in, creating a cool/cold spot. Not a problem under either my leather, or textile Tourmaster jacket, but when I wear it under my Tourmaster Mesh jacket, I have to wear the TM's water/windproof liner over the heated jacket liner, to stop the breeze from coming in through those elastic panels, which works well then. My heated jacket liner, theMesh riding gear (withwater/windproof liners) aremy 'mainstay' riding outfit for 3 season use while on tour, or until the temps drop constantly to < freezing every morning, at which time I switch over to one of my other 'outfits'

Also, the Tourmaster's proprietaryheat controllers are a piece of junk. :X :whip:Lots of problems with them crapping out after very little use. (Google it)Mine crapped out on me the 2nd day, so I found a jumper wire'fix' that allowed me to use the Firstgear/Warm&Safe heat controller, instead

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

I don't even have a liner.... I'm a cheap sucker, and I have an old Widder Vest. The trick is to wear a long sleeve wicking t-shirt, the vest, and then a heat-capturing garment on top of the vest -- I use a down vest or an old down jacket -- and then a riding jacket over the all.....

For a control I use a simple inline on/off rocker within easy reach; when I'm cold, I turn the vest on, and when I'm hot, I turn it off....

Easy-peasy, cheapie-cheapie!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

Not sure what you were wearing as under garments but as Dusty stated you need to wear a long sleeve shirt as a base layer. I normally wear a long sleeve long john type shirt then the heated jacket liner with a snug fitting wind/water proof shell over that. Very seldom turn jacket linerup over the quarter mark on the heat dial. I have a Gerbing liner.

On colder days below freezing I wear a wind proof shell with liner over the heated liner.

Give it a shot and see how that works out for you. Let us know. I'd be curious to see if that was the issue.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks to all for the input. I think I have a bad liner. Either designed bad or defective. I have not heard yet from anyone who has an Aerostich liner. I was wearing a T shirt under it. I was wearingaFieldshear textile 3/4 length jacket with a rain proof liner and the quilted liner in place over it. My jacket is a tight fit. It was over 50 degrees. I have a digital EXO2 digital controller. It has digital settings from 0 to 9. I had it set on 9. Other than the collar, heat from the liner was barely detectable. I am probably (prolly) going to return it.

Thanks again.

·
Best looking member
3,106 Posts
imported post

I don't know Dusty, I am beginning to think you only reply to these posts so you can show more pictures of yourself.:action::action::action::action: Great having lunch with you last week. We will have to do it again soon.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger wrote:
I don't know Dusty, I am beginning to think you only reply to these posts so you can show more pictures of yourself.:action::action::action::action: Great having lunch with you last week. We will have to do it again soon.
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL: Ya ... maybe so if I was good looking, Chuck! :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Agreed and remember, next one's on me! ;)

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

FeButter wrote:
Thanks to all for the input. I think I have a bad liner. Either designed bad or defective. I have not heard yet from anyone who has an Aerostich liner. I was wearing a T shirt under it. I was wearingaFieldshear textile 3/4 length jacket with a rain proof liner and the quilted liner in place over it. My jacket is a tight fit. It was over 50 degrees. I have a digital EXO2 digital controller. It has digital settings from 0 to 9. I had it set on 9. Other than the collar, heat from the liner was barely detectable. I am probably (prolly) going to return it.

Thanks again.
Maybe the controller has issue, or there is a broken wire in the liner somewhere. I'd guess evidence of it would show somewhere. If the warranty is still good, replace it. If not, start hunting for that break.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Not knowing how you've got this all "hooked-up" to your power system, but I see a lot of em conected with too small of wire to allow for proper current (can be seen as lower than expected voltage at the input side of the controller).

One poor guy here came by last week and had about 6-feet of 22awg wire and an inline relay to one controller running jacket and pants... repositioning a few things and working with "real" wire put him to rights very quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks Captain and Satan,

These issues have already been covered.

It is properly wired.

We have cross checked power supply from the controller with a 25 year old widder vest of a friend's.

Lots of heat from the Widder and almost undetectable heat from the Aerostich.

Thanks again.

I'm sending it back today.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Not familiar with the Aerostitch heated jacket, I thought you had to be a BMW rider to wear Aerostitch, but it does sound like you got a defective one. My Gerbings jacket liner gets warm enough I normally wear it with the controller set around 25% in 25-30F weather. Dusty is right about the thing needing to be held snug to the body to get the max benefit. The Gerbing doesn't haveelastic side panels because its heat wires seem to wrap around the sides. With my Tourmaster 3/4 Saber jacket and it's normal liner plus the Gerbings liner and glovesI can stay comfortable well into temperatures I wouldn't ride without them.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

I started down the heated gear road with a Gerbings vest and some gloves. Then, in a fit of prosperity, I sprung for the whole enchilata, a Gerbings heated jacket and pants. I am not afraid of the cold anymore, (just the slick icy stuff on the roads).

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

Thanks to Dusty's warning about the Tourmaster controller.... I have an extra I carry when we travel. However after several years of use, our Tourmaster Synergy Jacket liners have worked perfectly. I do like the push button T-Master controller over a pot, and they also include the wiring and controller with the T-Master liner. T-Master says the liners are machine washable! Butt I wont ever try that. If we ever need a controller, we have a spare. Just like the spare helmet comm cables, fuses and even headlamp bulb's. I always carry a spare..... and it has payed off for me and others we ride with when something fails on the road.
Gerbings seems to be the best brand. Buttt T-Master has a great price and performs extremly well... I call it Bang for Buck.

Corventure Dave

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You ever consider mounting a spare tire on the back?:action:

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Ouch!

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

So if you have good working gear, should it heat up and feel nice if just hanging on a hanger and you reach in and feel around?

I was trying my new to me gear just hanging and connected to a fully charged car battery. It generally felt cold to touch when I'd reach into it or put the gloves on. About 40-45F outside when testing, I was wearing a regular long sleeve shirt and jeans standing around.
I thought it would feel a bit warm and toasty, like an electric blanket.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

not sure bout the gloves chromo, but the jacket liner need another layer over the top of it from what ive read on here....thats now it builds up heat...12v aint gonna work as quick as 120v...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.