Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
07 GL1800
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I have a 07 GL1800 model 3A that the taillights and instrument panel started going dead. It would also blow the 20a fuse connected with this. I was in process of changing air filter when I noticed that the wiring harness coming from the left handlebar controls was fried!! I ordered and received a new control unit and and wiring, installed and when I plugged the harness into the gray connector on right side in front of radiator fill, it immediately got hot to the touch. I immediately unplugged it to avoid damage to the new harness and controls that was just installed. Any suggestions on what could be the issue and all ideas and suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks

·
Administrator
28,071 Posts
Did that happen with the key off? If so check which wires in that connector (bike side) have power with the key off and report back.

·
Administrator
28,071 Posts
Obviously a short somewhere, might be hard to find, should blow a fuse though.

·
Registered
07 GL1800
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, and it does blow 20a for taillights and instrument panel. I have HID low beams, LED hi beams and fog lights. I am gonna look at low beams, seems that would be big power draw.

·
Administrator
28,071 Posts
Yes, and it does blow 20a for taillights and instrument panel. I have HID low beams, LED hi beams and fog lights. I am gonna look at low beams, seems that would be big power draw.
If it blows the tail light fuse why would you look at the headlights? The only thing on that circuit that goes through that C17 connector is the left handlebar lights.

·
Registered
07 GL1800
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, and by the way, i was looking to see if starter switch was stuck, headlights not working either, i put the bike in reverse and the low beam headlight would come on, not the high beam. This has really gotten to be confusing!! There is only one way to plug in the new left side controls, so I do not get it!! Any suggestions, ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Administrator
28,071 Posts
Have you checked the headlight fuses, #14, 26 & 27?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Unplug the left side controls, then trace out all the wires in the harness that go to them. More than likely you have some kind of damage in one of the load circuits that is switched. Mouse activity? My guess is not a dead short, but pretty close to it. First up would be to check the wires that mate with the ones that got fried. I bet the power wires feeding the switch pod will be slightly damaged, but the wires that lead off to the loads is where the real problem will be. With the diagram in front of you, feed the loads via an amp meter and maybe a current limiting resistor or a current limited supply, and see what is out of line. If you're lucky there will be a few other connections between the switch and the load to help you narrow it down. But ultimately, unless the issue is at the load itself, you will likely have to check over the harness until you locate the damage.

·
Registered
07 GL1800
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes
Unplug the left side controls, then trace out all the wires in the harness that go to them. More than likely you have some kind of damage in one of the load circuits that is switched. Mouse activity? My guess is not a dead short, but pretty close to it. First up would be to check the wires that mate with the ones that got fried. I bet the power wires feeding the switch pod will be slightly damaged, but the wires that lead off to the loads is where the real problem will be. With the diagram in front of you, feed the loads via an amp meter and maybe a current limiting resistor or a current limited supply, and see what is out of line. If you're lucky there will be a few other connections between the switch and the load to help you narrow it down. But ultimately, unless the issue is at the load itself, you will likely have to check over the harness until you locate the damage.
Ok thanks for tips

1 - 14 of 14 Posts