Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Been thinking about getting some heated riding gear for the upcoming cold weather and was wondering about the types avaiable and what types everyone is using and recommends. I currently have regular leather insulated coat and lined chaps but my hands tend to get cold and cramped when wearingmy insulated gloves.

I have an '89 1500 with a Comp u Fire alternator and extra fuse panel for all the accessories, only thing extra on the bike are a couple of light bars and some 55 watt driving lights. I'll be changing the light bar bulbs over to LEDs before long so the electrical shouldn't be a problem.

Any suggestions? :baffled:

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
imported post

I have a Gerbing electric jacket liner and it's great. Combined with aftermarket grip heaters I'm nice and warm once it gets below 45F.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I've been thinking the same way, so thanks for asking. Heated gloves are on my wish list for sure, and I was thinking of a heated vest or coat liner as well, so I'd be interested to hear of peoples experiences with the different brands and items.

John

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

Hey guys-

Do you think an OEM alternator for an '85 Aspy could handle the draw from a set of heated grips or gloves?

Nick

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

The electric jacket liner sound like a good idea I'l check it out. Any ideas on heated gloves?

GoldWingPastor I would say that the stock charging system on the 85 would be pushed to its limits. Now if it has had the Poor Boy alternator conversion done I would think you'd be ok. When I had my 86 SEI that had to larger charging system due to its' being fuel injected it was maxed out when I added a light bar and some driving lights. You'll have to consider the condition and age of the system when looking at heated accessories on those bikes. Might get a shop to check out the electrical output for you to determine if it can handel it.

Thanks everyone.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

I ride in some pretty cold weather up here in the Pacific Northwest... the eastern half of Washington State, not the monsoon, warm, western side.

I found that a Widder electric vest is enough when I put it under a down vest or, if it's really cold, a down jacket, and then a riding jacket over everything. Never have bothered with electric gloves or heated grips; the heat of the vest seems to drive enough blood to the extremities to keep them warm. I do use winter gloves and heavy, insulated climbing boots. A neck gaiter or scarf also helps keep the cold air out of your neck zone.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

TNroadrider wrote:
Been thinking about getting some heated riding gear for the upcoming cold weather and was wondering about the types avaiable and what types everyone is using and recommends. I currently have regular leather insulated coat and lined chaps but my hands tend to get cold and cramped when wearingmy insulated gloves.

I have an '89 1500 with a Comp u Fire alternator and extra fuse panel for all the accessories, only thing extra on the bike are a couple of light bars and some 55 watt driving lights. I'll be changing the light bar bulbs over to LEDs before long so the electrical shouldn't be a problem.

Any suggestions? :baffled:

Thanks.
How cold can it get in TN?

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

rhughes wrote:
I've been in Kentucky when it was below zero F. Not so cold compared to IL, but still too stinkin' cold to be on a bike without the right gear. ;) My hands get cold easily, so I would personally be using heated gloves in the low 50's.

John

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
I've been thinking the same way, so thanks for asking. Heated gloves are on my wish list for sure, and I was thinking of a heated vest or coat liner as well, so I'd be interested to hear of peoples experiences with the different brands and items.

John
heated gloves are great! mine have the HD logo, but guess what, they are made by gerbing (sp?)

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
rhughes wrote:
I've been in Kentucky when it was below zero F. Not so cold compared to IL, but still too stinkin' cold to be on a bike without the right gear. ;) My hands get cold easily, so I would personally be using heated gloves in the low 50's.

John
That's right John, it might not get as cold here as in IL, WA or other Northern statesbut then again we also have summers that reach well into the triple digits for extended periods of time and we usually don't get the moderate climate change, pow one day its hot the next cold, temps can cycle like that for weeks on end. Temps here will average in the mid teens up to thelow 40sduring late Dec thru March and we get those rare days where itsdownto0 also.Couple that with the dampness we have and it can be uncomfortable, and it really is bothersome if you have Asthma as I do.

I love to ridebut as I get older I find it a bit harder to fight off the chillwhich in turn causes the breathing problems to kick up. The heated vest may be just what I'm looking for, think I'll check it out.

Thanks,

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Jack, unfortunately Widder is about to hang it up, so that leaves Aerostitch, Gerbings Warm n' Safe, Tourmaster, etc.

I have 2 Gerbings sets, one early SAE, and a late Coax (Harley) They both work great. The early type is a dull yellow, and the late is a black. I also bought the dual portable controllers, and they are a very good product, but I may go with built-in version, if I get off my lazy duff. Maybe when I install a rear spring.

I do wonder about the effects of emf. Anyone have any knowledge about that?

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

TNrider......

One other thing...... They sell electric vests with several options, one of which is a big, bulky thermostat control system. I bought one of those for my wife, but for myself I bought a simple connector cord off the battery, and a simple cord from my vest to the connector.... it has a simple on/off switch which seems to work for me. Too cold, I turn it on; too hot, I turn it off! :) It is dead stone reliable, and I don't have that heavy thermostat bouncing around my leg!

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
imported post

I bought my wife one of the Tourmaster Synergy jacket liners. It has a fused cord that wires direct to the battery and then she plugs into that once on the bike. If the roads are dry and it isn't blowing snow or ice I like to ride, and this allows my wife to ride with me. Before the liner she wouldn't go if the temp dropped below 50. Last trip we left when the temp was 44 when we left the garage and she was fine. Even took a short nap while we were on the road!

Love that liner!

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
imported post

Cold, what do ya know about cold!!I am only 2000 miles north or so of ya, Geriatric electric jacket liner??? whats that?? I have rode past dog sleds!! just kidding! but it was way below freezing this morning and I rode to town, 20 miles for parts!
Neil

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
imported post

WIMPS.........:cheeky1::cooldevil::dude:

HERE IN CANADA WE JUST RIDE (NOT).:waving:

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

Chucks back, under two new ID's! ;)

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

He's on the 1800 boards, eh!! ???

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

Oregonwinger wrote:
So I've heard, but I was just joking about the guys above and their, 'you don't know cold' comments. ;)

John

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
Oregonwinger wrote:
So I've heard, but I was just joking about the guys above and their, 'you don't know cold' comments. ;)

John
In this case, I would have to say that when the guy from Edmonton tells the guy from Tennessee that he doesn't know cold-------he may be right.:baffled:

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

I've considered electrics but decided that layers, winter gloves/heated grips were best for me. I do like the idea of being less bulky (electrics as opposed to layers) but I'm getting tired of electrical umbilicals attaching me to the GL. Wearing a full face helmet and a scarf also help.

Too bad about Widder going out of business - they were good folks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.