Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have found that when I am on the road my 03 wing handles like a dream but I have also found that when stopped she sure does like to lay over. I was backing out of my shop yesterday and I turned the wheel a little to much and the bike decided to lay on its left side. It took everything I had to keep it from going all the way over. I thought I had lost a small piece of my lower anatomy. After I got the bike on the kick stand I had to reach down and make a count to be sure I had not lost anything. I have now learned this is not the bike you just throw around I am really careful to keep it straight up now. I have learned with my vtx some bad handling habits cause I could man handle that beast.. Just thought I would pass that around.:shock:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
imported post

mike149 wrote:
I have found that when I am on the road my 03 wing handles like a dream but I have also found that when stopped she sure does like to lay over. I was backing out of my shop yesterday and I turned the wheel a little to much and the bike decided to lay on its left side. It took everything I had to keep it from going all the way over. I thought I had lost a small piece of my lower anatomy. After I got the bike on the kick stand I had to reach down and make a count to be sure I had not lost anything. I have now learned this is not the bike you just throw around I am really careful to keep it straight up now. I have learned with my vtx some bad handling habits cause I could man handle that beast.. Just thought I would pass that around.:shock:
Even from the GL1000, Goldwings have always been heavy bikes. Sometimes it's better to let the bike go rather than injure yourself trying to keep the beast up. They're actually not that hard to pick back up if you know how.

Let's say the bike falls over ontoit's left engine guard. Turnto whereyour back is facing the bike, grasp the left hand grip with your right hand, seat rail with your left hand, and plant your butt on the seat. Lift the bike with your legs, not your back or arms. It shouldn't be too hard to lift this way.

We all dump a bike every now and then. It's good to know how to pick it up.
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

If you think a Wing is bad, try a BMW touring model like the 1200. Not much to grab onto either when righting. I would like a kickstand on both sides of my bike, that way if you lay it down on the left you wouldn't have to worry about overshooting to the right when you lift it.

Of course I've never actually dropped my bike.:goofygrin:

[suB](damn liar!)[/suB]
 

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
Joined
·
57,413 Posts
imported post

axelwik wrote:
We all dump a bike every now and then. It's good to know how to pick it up.
Hey axelwik :stumped: You talk for yourself. I have never dropped my Honda 50. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
imported post

Redwing wrote:
axelwik wrote:
We all dump a bike every now and then. It's good to know how to pick it up.
Hey axelwik :stumped: You talk for yourself. I have never dropped my Honda 50. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:
Yeah, I'm sure you haven't. ;) Hey, I even drop my bicycle once-in-a-while.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,662 Posts
imported post

First bike I ever dropped was a '73 Kawasaki Z1a 900. 0300 and all alone when I stopped and forgot to put my feet down. As long as you don't ask Rodent I'll tell you that I am much smarter now.

Ruaidh
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top