Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was having a dangerously difficult time finding the toe shifter so I could "stab" at it to do a downshift - I often missed and then had to look down to find the pedal.

Finally figured out the heel-and-toe shifter thing: :D (I hope I'm not boring all of you because I usually figure something out 'way after everyone else already has, but)

I rest my boot sole on _both_ heel and toe pedals when I'm needing to shift up or down, then on the floorboard when I'm just cruising.

A side benefit is that it makes neutral super-easy to find! :clapper:

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Its just being able to find your method. i personally felt like my knees were going to po out of place again when dong that and starter moving my heel back
Anyway Glad you found something that works.
You never rreally know till you try

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
imported post

Edpare, That's the same way I learned to do it. I got my first wing a year before this fine forum was in existance.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
imported post

I thought the same when I first got my Wing. The first week I was looking down all the time cause I was trying to get my boot under it! I was looking for the OEM pegs and shifter. By the second week I wasn't looking down as much, but it was still a little awkward. After about a month it just became natural. I love the H/T now and would think of replacing them.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
imported post

I've had floorboards and heel-toe shifters on 5 of my 7 Gold Wings. It take a bit to adjust to a different feel and technique of shifting but, the the floorboards are a lot more comfortable on long trips than the pegs are.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

edpare,

I would be very cautious about your method of shifting with a heal and toe shifter as I don't think it is not designed to be used with your weight resting on the shifter like that. I agree that you will have to find a technique (more of a "feel" for it), but I would be careful about starting out in a what I would deem is a bad habit.

You should just be able to lift you toe (pivoting on the heel) and swing you toe over the toe shifter. While the heal shifter is probably the more difficult to get used to, the same manuver should be used to upshift, lift the heal (pivoting on the toe) and swing it over the shifter. Either downshifting or upshifting part of you foot should always stay in contact with the floorboard.

Just my humble opinion, now I'll be quiet!:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

A jockey shift would be much cooler than the heel toe, besides also being less of a load on the shaft and seal

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.