Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am thinking of putting on a heel and toe shifter on my 2012 Wing. Will it work well, or are there disadvantages? :?

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

I'd recommend find a bike with one on it and trying it. Personally I can't stand them but I know of several people who love them.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

Steve L wrote:
I am thinking of putting on a heel and toe shifter on my 2012 Wing. Will it work well, or are there disadvantages? :?
If you type "heel and toe shifter" in the forum search box you will come up with dozens of comments on that topic. I justt love mine and this is the first bike that has had it on & I put it on. I kept all the stock parts until I found out how I would get along. after a couple of weeks I gave the pegs to a member that wanted to take his H/T off and needed pegs. As stated above some love them & some hate them. Alos others haven't a clue what they like.:D:ROFL::D:ROFL::D:ROFL::D:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

Personally I don't like 'em. I find I shift too hard and I'm forever hitting it unintentionally with my heel when I shift my foot.....Mike

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

You wanna be Cool like Jon and Ponch, too???

;)

Wings are not made with them in mind, and the retrofit is at best a kluge. For those that like them, it's a testament that the Human of the species can get used to anything.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
;)

Wings are not made with them in mind, and the retrofit is at best a kluge. For those that like them, it's a testament that the Human of the species can get used to anything.
I find it far more comfortable to use the HT that the stock shifter. I opnly have to lift my heel up slightly to upshift but I lift my whole foot to down shift. The way my Add-on is set up my shifts are smooth & quiet. But then I have a 1200. I have nothing to compare it with when it come to the 1800 slug.:badgrin::D:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

A testament to humans beening able to get used to anything is the stock setup on the sixcyclinder wings.
I have short legs but am still cramped on the 6 cyclinders. I like the pegs on my 4 cyclinder wings but there is just barely enoght leg room need a gel cuushion to get in a good position.
When I first got my 1500 I hated the boards but have come to like them. I do find the brakes dangerous and need to be adressed tho.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

I only had a H/T shifter once, on my 1200, and it didn't seem to engage very well and I missed a lot of shifts. And if I tried to downshift after I came to a full stop it was almost impossible. I had several occasions where I was stuck at a light trying to get the bike down into first gear, because I stopped without downshifting.
Unfortunately there wasn't any adjustment.
If you get a bad fit, you'll hate it. If you get a good fit, you may like it. Unfortunately for me, I've never experienced one that worked well so my only experience was bad. I know that there are sets that work better because there are people that have them that don't have the complaints that I experienced.

·
Trike Master
1,247 Posts
imported post

I will not debate whether this is the correct thing for Honda to do or not but, install a heel/toe shifter and you stand a chance of having any transmission failure warranty claim denied.
Some dealers will ignor it, some won't. Factory rep comes in to review the bike and the failed parts and spots a heel/toe shifter, most likely your claim will be denied and your bike will be flagged in the warranty system for non-coverage of the the transmission.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

I made my own H/T shifter & floor bds for my 85 1200 then refitted them on my 1500, I've converted my '84 Shadow to H/T shortly after I got it this spring. ................:action::action:

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

Bought my 1500 with it on there, having never tried them out before on either my 76 or 83 wings was unsure would like them. At first took while to get used to shifting up with my heel instead of my toe, but now im not sure i'd own another wing without them. I have a 34" inseam and the floorboards help me immensely, even with size 13 feet. The brake pedal i dont find any harder to use than the stock one on my 1100...Maybe its just me but i love em...my .02...

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

My 1500 had one when I bought her. I have loose cartilage in the left knee and rotating the foot in to get under a normal shifter is uncomfortable and can cause something to catch. the heal/toe solves this and makes riding much more comfortable for me.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Had markland ht on my 1500, if the brake arrangement had been better and I was about six inches shorter might have left them on there. As I have stated before its kind of an individual thing to use...if it works for you then so much the better if not like for me it was not the shifter side but the brake side of it was not a safe situation. That is not the case for others with different personal physical dimensions.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

tfdeputydawg wrote:
I will not debate whether this is the correct thing for Honda to do or not but, install a heel/toe shifter and you stand a chance of having any transmission failure warranty claim denied.
Some dealers will ignor it, some won't. Factory rep comes in to review the bike and the failed parts and spots a heel/toe shifter, most likely your claim will be denied and your bike will be flagged in the warranty system for non-coverage of the the transmission.
So..... are you saying that you know this a fact? (you don't seem to be)

IMHO: A properly engineered h/t will give no more stress on the shifter mech.than the stock lever. Also, someone can beat on a stock shifter and cause tranny problems just as easy as someone banging on the h/t.

If not installed/adjusted correctly, or just a cheap/poorly made setyou can have issues. Mine is a qualitly set, but I needed to fixit when I got the bike as the PO did not have the brake set correctly. I also modified the pedal.

I like mine on my 88, and I have had 3 wings with them. For me, I need to move my left foot a little less to shift, and because of the length of my legs I need to lift my right foot in a similar maner to get to the brake (toe below pedal pad, I need to swing out from under VS lifting my foot); having less fatiuge makes that a wash in my book.

To the OP: If you want to try them, then get them, but keep your pegs so you can swap back. Maybe get a used set to try, and if they don't look nice you can get new ones if you like them.

Bill

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Thanks everyone for the comments. Actually I was thinking of getting just the HT shifter, not floorboards as well. Has anybody put one on without floorboards that could comment? I had floorboards and HT shifter on my last bike (Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad) and loved it, but my concern with the Wing is that the boards would be almost under the knee, which seems it might be a little cramped. The boards on the Kawi are further forward, and sloped upwards at the front of them which is exceptionally comfortable.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

I hate them, and I rarely use the Hater word.

and who you calling a slug, FYSTY-1:raspberry: :lash:

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

Kind of depends on what you're use to. I never liked them much because all the bikes I had didn't have them. Then, the bikes I started buying did and I was uncomfortable with them and usually just used the toe shift. I started trying the heel shift and it just sort of stuck. Now, I love it but not a big fan of the way they're set up on any GW. I think it's because of the lack of adjustability. The HD Ultra Classic is independently adjustable for toe and heel (as is the brake) so it makes it a better fit. With GW's, you're kind of just stuck because it wasn't engineered into the bike.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

Steve L wrote:
Thanks everyone for the comments. Actually I was thinking of getting just the HT shifter, not floorboards as well. Has anybody put one on without floorboards that could comment? I had floorboards and HT shifter on my last bike (Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad) and loved it, but my concern with the Wing is that the boards would be almost under the knee, which seems it might be a little cramped. The boards on the Kawi are further forward, and sloped upwards at the front of them which is exceptionally comfortable.:thumbsup:
I can honestly say im not sure i would recommend putting on a HT shifter without the floorboards...Heres why...If you have the boards on you can just pivot either your heel or toe and shift up or down easily...without them you will literally have to hold your foot in the air to downshift and when upshifting (even if this is possible i dont know)slide your foot back on the peg to do it....I just dont see how that would work at all....Hope this helps....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.