Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i have just purchased an 1100 1980 goldwing and it has heel toe shifter on it with floor boards on it my feet are too big to fit and shift the gears up i dont see any way to adjust it i i think its an aftermarket style any tips are great thanks

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Best tip I can give is get a stock shifter from eBay or some such if you have normal pegs. If the bike has floorboards just get rid of that abomination and put some regular pegs on the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
i agree with exavid, get rid of that abomination!!!!!
I, too agree with William_86 and exavid.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

I found a set that was on an aspencade with floor boards made of aluminum.They work great. I use my heel most of the time for shifting and braking .

But most of the gl1100's did use a setup that incorporated the original peg type shifter. Remove the heel shifter and check to see if you dohave a peg. Welcome to the site. Litfuse

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

i would like to get rid of the floor board but it is very uncomfortable for me to ride with just pegs i took off the shifter assembly and welded it taller to fit my foot in looks odd as hell but it works

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

I have ridden Wings with Floorboards, I hate them! At 5'6" and a 32 inseam, its a sretch to reach the ground.Regular pegs are the way to go with me. HOWEVER..... on My Sabre I really like my Floorboards but I will never (never say never?) put on a heel toe shifter. I just dont like them.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

I gave mine away. Best thing i ever done. My heel toe always stuck some though when I was down shifting to a stop, so I went back with the OEM version, and took my floorboards off of my parts bike back on my current wing.
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Now the other side of the coin, I love the heal toe and would have nothing else. My floorboards, well, don't think you can call them floorboards as they are just a bit bigger than pegs. About a 4" flat surface on the inner side to 1 1/2" on the outer side. But as I said love the heal toe. :action:

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

I just got a new set of floorboards but the instructions are not that great. Does anyone know where I can get help on this? thanks.....

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

oldbiker2 wrote:
I just got a new set of floorboards but the instructions are not that great. Does anyone know where I can get help on this? thanks.....
Return them and get your money back is the best help anyone can offer.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
imported post

I just got my first goldwing about a month ago. It is an 81 Interstate with Markland floorboards and heel/toe shifter. I just love the boards. I do have some problems with my big feet too when up shifting. The linkage on mine is adjustable and I am going to adjust it to where the rear part is a bit higher. This should help with the bigfoot problem.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

that would be an option, but why do you say that? Are the boards to hard to install, do they just not look good (in your opinion), or are they not that comfortable on long rides? just trying to get as much input as I can because I think I would really enjoy the boards -- also getting ready to put on new backrest but that looks fairly easy to do. any thoughts on the backrest? thanks and have a good day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"THE KING IS COMING"..........

oldbiker2

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

I have a 1980 GW with heal toe shifter, with floorboards. Did the 1980 come out with heal toe shifter? I don't like it to well. What are some suggestions?

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

I find it amazing that those who aren't comfortable with the heel/toe style shifter or with floor boards are so quick to bash them. Just say you don't like em, no need to call them names.

To address the original post. With a heel toe shifter there should be no issue with big feet. When using a heel toe shifter there is no need to get your tow under the shifter. push down with your toe on the front of the shifter to down shift. Push down with your heel on the rear part of the shifter to up shift. If you are having a hard time getting your toe under the shifter it's because it doesn't belong there.

To the guy with the new floor boards, if they are Markland floor boards they can be a bit of a pain to install. but once you figure out one side the other side will be a breeze.

If you think it will help I can take some pictures of mine so you can see how they go.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

Bill G wrote:

I have a 1980 GW with heal toe shifter, with floorboards. Did the 1980 come out with heal toe shifter? I don't like it to well. What are some suggestions?
No the floor boards are not stock they are after market. Check ebay for stock pegs.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

picasso wrote:
oldbiker2 wrote:
Return them and get your money back is the best help anyone can offer.
That's kind of rude. Some of us have the ability to ride a bike with boards and a heel toe shifter just fine. Some of us even prefer it. Just because YOU can't help him, doesn't mean no one can.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
I find it amazing that those who aren't comfortable with the heel/toe style shifter or with floor boards are so quick to bash them. Just say you don't like em, no need to call them names.
doesn't sound nice but its the truth, i love heel/toe shifters on other bikes that were designed for them and even are stock like on the v-star classic, harley electraglide and soft tail, some kowasaky cruisers. all on all of them the heel toe shifter was very comfortable, the wing was not designed for that or it would have become stock since the earlier 1500s

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Heck I like to bash 'em! An abomination I say!:whip: Possibly will cause impotence and incontinence in any one using them!:shock: But then I like bashing those ugly 1800 headlights, Rotweilers, twin keel sailboats, roundaboutsand Piper Cherokees.

Don't like Lite beer either. Bud Lite tastes like someone else drank it first.:cheeky1::cheeky1:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.