Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My heel / toe shfter is coming loose and I can't seam to tighted it. I haven't checked it out completely but I did attempt to tighten the outside cap piece with no success. Is this a standard gear attachment or some type of sleeve?

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum!!! your shifter should attach via spline. You should see a bolt that goes through to tighten, (or squeeze) the wrap around spline section onto the shaft. I dont own an 1800 but it must be the same.

More members will jump in with their comments, Hold on!!!!

·
Administrator
27,770 Posts
imported post

The best thing to do with a HT shifter is remove it, turn around and throw it as far as you can then go pick it up and throw it again, no more problems. JMHO

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Ouch! Sounds like an x-wife I had which is why she is an X. I really like using floorboards for my base so a H?T shifter is my only option. I'm happy with it. By the way I did end up removing the entire shifter assembly and tightening it from the back side. Problem solved. Ride hard.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

I had that problem at one time Bill and solved it the same way. That was 11000 miles back and it is still holding up good.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Your reply just made me think of something. Loose once - loose again. I had it all apart why didn't I put some lock tight on it. Oh well if I can get 11000 out of it like you I'll be happy. Plus it's always a good day when I get to work on the Wing.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,271 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
The best thing to do with a HT shifter is remove it, turn around and throw it as far as you can then go pick it up and throw it again, no more problems. JMHO

Dave, I tried your suggestionbut the second time I threw the h/tshifter it hit the bike and put a big scratch on the saddlebag.
:baffled:

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i agree with you!
DaveO430 wrote:

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
This should be clarified somewhat to ensure that user's of this technique throw in only ONE direction. Unfortunately Bike...and Dennishas identified that one toss followed by another toss following the opposite vector will return the assmembly to (or near) the original starting point. :shock:

(removing the assy, and tightening from the back-side is a suitable approach, I'd concur with the use of LockTite or similar compound -- Green LockTite may be used if you're already reassembled)

·
Administrator
27,770 Posts
imported post

My mistake, I should have made it clear to throw it in the same direction and preferably into a swamp. I did that with a chainsaw once and it fixed it just fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.