Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi;

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada and have a 1977 Honda CB750K I love... but I have been wanting an older naked Goldwing ever since seeing one on the road this summer...they have a beefy, purposeful look I really like, not to mention the fact that the Goldwing is the other great bike Honda has built besides the CB750.

My research led me here; along the way in researching the different versions of the Goldwing I have come to the conclusion that the last year the Standard was made in 1984 might be the version that suits me best, primarily because of its' chassis and front end which allegedly contribute to relatively light handling for such a large bike.

I've found a 1984 Standard in good shape (see below)...but I also know of one or two 1980 GL1100 Standards in good shape as well.

My question is: For a recreational rider who spends most of his time on day trips at 35-60mph on gently rolling, curvy (but not super twisty) oceanside asphalt roads...which model of the Goldwing Standard would you recommend, assuming the usual soft spots in each version have been addressed?

Thanks!

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

Hello Winston and welcome to the forum.

That is one fine looking bike. If it's as good as it looks and the price is fair, buy it. :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

welcome to the forum, you might also try nakedgoldwings.com, several of us are on both sites

i think the 1200 has the edge on performance...

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I have read most of the material at NakedGoldwings as well, both are great resources...I didn't notice there were Forums there until after posting this thread here, and have noticed there's a fair amount of cross-pollination between the sites anyway.

The 84 standard pictured is indeed a very nice example...the two 1980 GL1100 standards I have found are each a notch below that one and each other in terms of general condition and price....so it's like Good, Better and Best.

In terms of the overall riding experience, how would you rate/compare the GL1100 versus the GL1200 platform ?

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Take the 1200, quick! The 1100s are all over the place, naked 1200s are harder to find, especially in nice shape.

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
imported post

My opinion is go for the '84 Standard. It's the last year Honda made the unfaired version, which makes it kinda unique and rarer than other unfaired earlier models. Not to mention it's got the 1200cc engine which means it's got a litttle more "oomf" if ya tickle the throttle!! :cooldevil::cooldevil:

Good looking machine too!! :cool:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hard to beat either one, but I'd go for the 1200. It's higher geared and doesn't work so hard at highway speeds. The hydraulic clutch makes shifting easier too.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

When you hit 2nd gear and twist the throttle on the GL1200 you will absolutely notice it. The GL1100 pulls away okay, but nothing like the GL1200.

And the hydraulic clutch is as smooth as butter.

And that GL1200 pictured looks great AND it is in the fastest color.

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
imported post

Yep if that meets your fancy and the price is right don't let that one get away. The 1100 is get but gear shifting, take the 1200. :waving:

Keep on Winging:bat:

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
imported post

Jump on the 1200! And like the others have said, that's a nice looking bike.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks for the feedback, gang...I've never ridden a Goldwing, so although I've read everything I could get my hands on, most of which says the 1200 is a more advanced machine and is probably more fun to ride than the 1100, nothing tops listening to people with experience.

(I checked out a used HD Fatboy on the weekend for heft, as Fatboys have a published weight of 665lb or so...similar to the 84 GL1200...it was just as easy to handle on the showroom floor as my 500 lb CB750, maybe easier, because of its' lower center of gravity...I suspect the GL1200 is something like a Fatboy for heft and bulk. Am I right, I wonder? I'm 6'1" and 250-ish, so part of this exercise is to make sure I don't look like I'm on my way to a Shriners Parade when I ride.)

I know the 1200 standard is fairly rare and that a relatively small number were made, with a small fraction of those built sent to Canada...so as a desirable model that is relatively scarce and in better than average shape I realize this bike is a bit of a find, and I like rare/oddball items generally anyway....heck, I used to drive a Renault Fuego Turbo just because it was odd and I recently bought and restored for my 16 year old daughter a loaded red 1987 Audi 5000 5 speed Turbo Quattro Avant (wagon), just because it's so funky, cool and strange.

It will be a weekend trip for me to go see this bike, try it and (probably) buy it (unless the seller has left out something nasty). Dealer maintained, the tires and brakes are all recent and the front forks were apparently replaced two years ago (?). It has just over 60,000 miles on it and at this point is ridden about 1500 miles a year and stored indoors in the winter. No stator issues, but of course I'll look at the connector. :)

***A Question About Price***: used bike prices tend to be higher in Canada than in the USA, especially in eastern Canada, where the population is sparse, disposable income for toys like big bikes is relatively scarce and the bike season shorter (think northern Maine, except another couple of hundreds miles north!)....this is a small market. This bike is (I think) reasonably priced. I suspect a bike in the shape this one is in would go for how much....$2500-$3500 usd in most markets? Is that high, low, just right?

Not that it really matters...if the bike is as right as he says it is, I'll buy it anyway, as it's about 40% the price of a new stripped Shadow 750 around here.

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
imported post

roscoepc wrote:
If that bike is in as good a shape as it looks, I'd buy it for that price range!!
I'd buy the hedge bush too, it looks as good as the bike.:battle:

Keep on Winging:bat:

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

The hedge, rack/backrest and windshield... all have to go in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Hey, thanks...it's like they've been saying since 1964, "you meet the nicest people riding a honda".

The CB750 online community is equally as friendly, as are real-life vintage metric riders generally.

Vintage Brit bike guys tend to be crusty/snooty about Hondas in my experience...I think they're still angry about what happened to BSA, Norton and Triumph.

The HD Nouveau and Faux HD types, well, they're often so taken with themselves that unless you're holding up a mirror, they're not likely to even notice you. (ha)

Now I'm wrestling with whether to sell my CB750...

·
Administrator
20,568 Posts
imported post

The 1200 for sure!!!!:clapper:

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

winston if you need help in your area with parts or work done on the 1100-1200 goldwing contact jim dart on the dartmouth highway he is thje best there is on those bikes let us know what you decideto buy happy winging cheers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.